Esteemed Contributor

Revealed! Why The Deer Ignored My Flower Beds Last Year!

Two years ago I lost ALL of my daylily blooms and buds, as well as all the hosta blooms and even some tomatoes to the many deer who made our back yard their personal spa. I'd show you pictures, but I deleted them to avoid additional trauma. Well, last year I had NO DEER! Why??? I did plant lots of smelly deer repellent plants, but that wasn't it. I just found out that our neighbors, about 5 houses down and across the street, were actually feeding the deer! and also placing salt licks for them! Wow, just wow! They intend to continue on with this practice. I feel like I should pay them, or at least contribute to the feed fund. We are so looking forward to a deer-free Spring and Summer!

Valued Contributor

Re: Revealed! Why The Deer Ignored My Flower Beds Last Year!

You are lucky.  In my neighborhood they make the rounds.  They always stop by for a little snippit of bud!

Honored Contributor

In my community the deer do not mess w/flower beds.  The landscapers use some deer repel stuff.  The housing developments around us must use the same landscapers cause they all have beautiful flower beds.  I am going to take some pictures one day & post them here.

Now the community gardens which are winter & summer useage are surrounded by 8-9 ft steel fences which are spiked.  White tails can jump 6 ft at a stand still so we were told.  Some areas have some sort of mesh type fence surrounding their property to keep away the deer who are free roaming.  These fences are almost invisible to the human eye as they blend in w/the vegatation.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Back in the day when my Mom was a hairdresser, many people would ask her to save the hair that she cut off of clients, so that they could spread the hair in their gardens to keep the deer away,

Apparently deer don't like the smell of human hair, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom We have tried hair in our garden for deer, groundhogs and raccoons. It doesn't work for us. We have tried dried blood and tobacco as well. We finally strung a battery operated electric fence outside of our fenced-in veggie garden. That worked for the groundhogs and raccoons. My cousins breed daylilies, and they use the high fences and Irish Spring soap bars hung from all the shrubs.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

I've heard of using the Irish Spring soap too.

Funny I love the smell of Irish Spring, DH uses it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Two years ago I lost ALL of my daylily blooms and buds, as well as all the hosta blooms and even some tomatoes to the many deer who made our back yard their personal spa. I'd show you pictures, but I deleted them to avoid additional trauma. Well, last year I had NO DEER! Why??? I did plant lots of smelly deer repellent plants, but that wasn't it. I just found out that our neighbors, about 5 houses down and across the street, were actually feeding the deer! and also placing salt licks for them! Wow, just wow! They intend to continue on with this practice. I feel like I should pay them, or at least contribute to the feed fund. We are so looking forward to a deer-free Spring and Summer!

@PA Mom-mom 

That's great, hopefully this season will repeat last year's!  You'll have to keep us updated.

Honored Contributor

Although I think deer are beautiful animals to look at, they are the last thing I would want to see in my yard.  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't breathe a word of it outside or the deer with thwart you!

I use Liquid Fence.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have neighbors who feed the deer and we have used human hair, dog hair, Irish Spring soap, moth balls, and many other things including a liquid deer deterent sprayed at least once a week and the deer still eat everything.

They even came up to my front door and ate the wreath off of it as well as my decor pumpkins.  We have pine trees on the on one  side of our property and they lay under the pines and leave ticks behind.

I hate deer.  They ruined my veggie garden and flowers.  Every year, every female has a baby and we have a huge herd roaming my neighborhood.

Now, they are jumping out in front of cars and walking the streets at dusk.  I do not live in a rural area.    Every morning, I can see their hoof prints in my tan bark right by my front door and if it snows, there are hoof prints everywhere.

One of my neighbors has a four ft. fancy, expensive metal fence around their property. About two years ago, the deer knocked down two sections and ruined it.

I wish I could get rid of them by having them moved to the woods somewhere.