Respected Contributor

Question about the Hummingbird feeder, Hummzinger

I set it up today.   I see it comes with small plastic caps to go over the feeder holes.  I think they're ant motes.

I put them on as said in instructions.   Does anyone else use them..is it necessary?...does it restrict the nectar in any way??

I have it on a  4 hook shepards pole.  I've got red and impatiens,  a red solar lantern,  and fish windchime .  The hummers already found it, and seem to enjoy the red impatiens.    Soooooo nice , soooo whimsical.   Please let me know about those little plastic caps.  Oh, they even included pipe cleaners. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about the Hummingbird feeder, Hummzinger

@Dazlin

Your plastic caps are most likely bee guards.  Wasps and bees like the sugar water too but the hummies will not feed if they’re around the feeder.  I’ve used bee guards on other types of feeders and while they don’t inhibit the flow of liquid, sometimes the hummingbirds will shy away from them.  If your birds are using the feeder with them on, I’d leave them on since they do help to keep the invader insects away.  I don’t use any bee guards on the type of feeders I have now, but I do have wasps often.  

Glad you’re having success with the little guys and gals!  They’re so neat to watch!

Respected Contributor

The tiny plastic caps go on the underside of the feeder.  The hummers dont see them.   

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 of the humzinger feeders and I use the caps. They do a good job at keeping the bees out. You will also want to use the pipe cleaners to clean out the holes. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

The tiny plastic caps go on the underside of the feeder.  The hummers dont see them.   

Then I’m not familiar with your model of feeder.  Have you tried Googling your question?