Super Contributor

Have You Ever Had To Give Up On Something You Really Wanted In Your Garden?

I just tossed the last of my agastache plants this morning. I tried growing them in the ground and in large pots for 2 years with no luck. I really like them, but I tried about six different varieties with no luck - so I give up.

I'm trying out new plants this year to attract hummingbirds.

Have you had anything you really wanted to grow in your garden, but just didn't have luck with?

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Had To Give Up On Something You Really Wanted In Your Garden?

@Wahoogaz wrote:

I just tossed the last of my agastache plants this morning. I tried growing them in the ground and in large pots for 2 years with no luck. I really like them, but I tried about six different varieties with no luck - so I give up.

I'm trying out new plants this year to attract hummingbirds.

Have you had anything you really wanted to grow in your garden, but just didn't have luck with?

Roses.  I had beautiful roses in England and in CA, but not where I live now.  Too many deer. 

Honored Contributor

I've tried growing hosts several times but they just barely stay alive and eventually die.  I think it gets too hot for them.  I've given up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You must mean "hostas."  Yes, I've tried them too.  They take too much water and it's difficult to fight the slugs.  I've failed with others too, like delphinium, sempervivum. Tried calibrachoas for the first time this summer, and I'm not impressed.  Honestly, Kachina, sometimes I think some plants sold in local nurseries just aren't meant for our gardening zones.

Hot today, 111 degrees, I covered several plants.  Did you?

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've tried growing hosts several times but they just barely stay alive and eventually die.  I think it gets too hot for them.  I've given up.

I had many hostas on the east coast ... I do miss having them here (southern NM). Between the heat/sun/low humidity, I figured they wouldn't stand a chance in my yard.

Super Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

You must mean "hostas."  Yes, I've tried them too.  They take too much water and it's difficult to fight the slugs.  I've failed with others too, like delphinium, sempervivum. Tried calibrachoas for the first time this summer, and I'm not impressed.  Honestly, Kachina, sometimes I think some plants sold in local nurseries just aren't meant for our gardening zones.

Hot today, 111 degrees, I covered several plants.  Did you?

Funny you said that about local nurseries. I always thought they were supposed to be more reliable for buying plants for your area, but I haven't found that to be true the last few years. I've had just as much luck, if not more, purchasing plants online.

I also haven't been impressed with the plant care recommendations from the staff at my local nursery.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wahoogaz

I don't know your gardening zone in NM, but I suspect hostas would be a failed effort.  I've seen photos of huge, beautiful ones and wondered how they could grow like that.  Not in So. CA.

I find some nursery workers don't know too much about the plants. They are there to water and move plants, ring up sales, keep things tidy.  You have to seek out the owner or other person who gardens him/herself. (No offense to nursery workers.)

Honored Contributor

gave up on our entire garden

it's sad everything gets eaten

throwsuphands

Respected Contributor

In seeking advice about tree care, between the nursery person, master gardeners , the internet, etc....the advice is so polar opposite it’s crazy! 

So, I’ve decided I’m on my own and just have to hope I can keep them alive 😕

Honored Contributor

With our clay soil by us, more sandy the further to the coast along our south shore, I’ve had quite a few that didn’t grow well despite being the correct zone.

Heuchera, hellebores & coreopsis come to mind. Did well until winter arrived. Ground remained too wet so crowns rotted. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼