Esteemed Contributor

Dug up my flower garden in the fall and although we had snow a few weeks ago, it has melted and here comes the weeds again already.  I dug them out, but wonder if it is too late to try Preen.  I have never used it but planned on giving it a try.  Has anyone used Preen successfully after weeds have sprouted?  I plan on adding more top soil and mulch.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu 

The additional top soil and mulch will also contain weeds.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

I use Preen all summer.  I do my first good weeding about now and put it down and then apply about once a month with weeding as necessary.  As to weeds in grass.... I have tried everything, preemergent (not sure when to apply in my area, my weeds grow all year) with spot applications of weed killer and weed and feed three time a year!  They just continue to grow!

Respected Contributor

I used to use Preen and Feed throughout the growing season when I had a flower bed in front of the house. It worked all right on regular weeds, but didn't make a dent in the thistle that invaded the bed. I stopped using it when I noticed an infestation of "love bugs" in that bed. Once I stopped using it, the bugs went away. 

Esteemed Contributor

For the most part people don't have grass in our yards in Arizona so most people put down pre emergent a couple of times a year and it keeps the weeds from popping up between the rocks. 

Respected Contributor

Where are you @Biftu ?  I am in CT, and I just sprinkled Preen everywhere last weekend. No not too late!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Where are you @Biftu ?  I am in CT, and I just sprinkled Preen everywhere last weekend. No not too late!! 

@Skyegirl21  I'm in the northeast too.  I'm getting some tomorrow.  Thanks for thinking of me.

Respected Contributor

Can I use this around my flowers and tomato plants?  Is it safe to use in an organic garden?

Respected Contributor

HhRe: Preen - Is it too late?

WHEN I planted the garden last year toward the end of may I made sure I had no weeds and I put preen down and it worked awesome. We're I put it was weed free until the end of August I started getting a few weeds but not bad. It said on the bucket that it won't get rid of any weeds you already have it will just prevent new weeds from growing. I planted Cosmo seeds and none of them came up.I did use green in that area but not were seeds were planted.I bet that when I watered green got to my seeds. Now that I'm writing this I just realized that probably was the problem.

Valued Contributor

Re: HhRe: Preen - Is it too late?

@Biftu        I realize you didnt ask this, but I've found that, at least a *double layer* of "WeedCloth,"  covered by Mulch (I prefer rubber nugget mulch) keeps weeks at bay incredibly!!  .. for years, in my case!

Good luck!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .