Honored Contributor

My first crop is now about my height (5'-11") or taller and is now forming husks/baby ears of corn. My harvest might be larger than anticipated as each plant has at least two ears starting and some have three. My planned 12-24 ears of corn harvest every two weeks is growing into 24-36 ears of corn every two weeks. I may have to donate a bit of corn to neighbors. The corn is really enjoying the warmer weather.

I now have about 38 corn plants in the ground and they get six to eight gallons of water a day. My rain barrel is nearby and I use my 2 gallon watering can three to four times to give them a drink each day. We've been rainfree here now for a while, so I could use some rain. Given the timing I probably won't have corn for the Fourth, but it should be ready just a bit later. I've got another sixteen plants started that will go out this weekend and then one or two more crops to start after that. I should have fresh corn right up to frost.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Ordered some corn seed

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

My first crop is now about my height (5'-11") or taller and is now forming husks/baby ears of corn. My harvest might be larger than anticipated as each plant has at least two ears starting and some have three. My planned 12-24 ears of corn harvest every two weeks is growing into 24-36 ears of corn every two weeks. I may have to donate a bit of corn to neighbors. The corn is really enjoying the warmer weather.

I now have about 38 corn plants in the ground and they get six to eight gallons of water a day. My rain barrel is nearby and I use my 2 gallon watering can three to four times to give them a drink each day. We've been rainfree here now for a while, so I could use some rain. Given the timing I probably won't have corn for the Fourth, but it should be ready just a bit later. I've got another sixteen plants started that will go out this weekend and then one or two more crops to start after that. I should have fresh corn right up to frost.

@gardenman   You could freeze the corn, and make lots of corn fritters to use up the excess. Smiley Happy  A relative who lives on a farm makes creamed corn and freezes it and plain corn.

Respected Contributor

My corn today. Is this about where you are or maybe yours is taller.

Garden corn tassels 6-24-20 005.JPG

Garden corn tassels 6-24-20 004.JPG

I probably have at least 50 green tomatoes. 

Honored Contributor

My first crop is a bit taller. Keep an eye on where the leaves meet the stem as that's where the ears will form. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I harvested my first ear of corn today! Yea! I spent more time debating whether to harvest it or not than it took to cook it and eat it. The silk was brown and dry, the ear felt pretty much filled out. We have a couple of days of tropical rain possible on Friday and Saturday, so I pulled it off, shucked it, and it was a bit underripe, but still mighty tasty. Note to self, the brown silk indicator isn't a great indicator for this corn. Give it a few more days (maybe a week?) after the brown silk stage is reached. 

The second crop is now tassling and silking. It's a bit taller and more robust than the first crop. Probably due to the warmer weather when it hit the garden. It reached the garden around June first while the first crop was planted mid-May. The third and fourth crops are about two weeks and four weeks behind the rest. I've got about eighteen (or so) ears still maturing on the first crop of twelve plants. It'll probably be sometime next week when I next attempt a harvest. This variety of corn reportedly can stay on the plant for a week after it's ripe with no deterioration, so I'll try to overshoot the ripeness a bit next time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I picked my first ear yesterday and wasn't aware I had planted mini corn! Its only 5 inches long. lol

I only picked it because it had started to open and I didn't want the birds to get it.

I cooked it last night and it was good but so tiny

Still waiting on tomatoes to ripen... the tomato in the pic I got from someone else's garden.

7-13-20 first corn 002.JPG