Honored Contributor

Need a Use For Those Shells?

Spoiler

Remember those shells you and the kids collected?  Here's a nice way to put the larger ones to use.   These would look so pretty this summer on a table on the patio or deck.  Remember, most succulents are not winter hardy.

Screenshot_20230126-143159_kindlephoto-218563510.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Need a Use For Those Shells?

@Kachina624 I love that!

Respected Contributor

When we were kids my mother had a very large shell she found on Virginia Beach when my Dad was in the service there watching for submarines during World War II.  It was displayed in a bookcase at home and my brother and I would put it up to our ear and it made a sound.  We said it was like the ocean waves roaring and it really was such a sound as that.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks,  for the FYI.

I have  two large on from Puerto  Rico  that my husband found abt 40 yrs ago.

Respected Contributor

When we were kids, we vacationed every year in ocean city, md in the 60's and 70's. My dad was a Navy vet and an excellent swimmer. He would swim near the rock jetty(now forbidden for obvious reasons) and squirm between the rocks and would pull out 5 or 6 at a time.  We thought it was the greatest thing ever.  We would take them home and paint them.  Held onto them for years until my mom tossed them.  Memories...🐚

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23   I was always told you could hear the ocean in the shells, love that sound. I live only about 3 hours from VA Beach and we visit there often for a nice quick get away. 

Respected Contributor

Very creative, unique and so lovely.

Valued Contributor

That is BEAUTIFUL!! 

Respected Contributor

Stunning arrangement!

I have a pretty abalone shell but would not do that to it because the inside is prettier than the outside.  Mother of pearl, right?