Respected Contributor

My experience with SpringHill Nursery

If you ever consider ordering from Spring Hill Nursery, I advise you to remember my experience with them. Pertinent background information is that the order and payment was accepted immediately, and I received a confirmation the same day of the order with a 1 week ETA. Nearly one month later, this is an abbreviation of today's chat session with them:

Me: Hello, Daniel. I placed my order in May, shipment has not happened yet. 6 Muhly grass plants -- your site said "In stock." Now it says, "Ships in Fall." What's going on??
Daniel: The reason the plant says ships in the fall on our website is because yesterday was our last day to order for spring. We are now rolling over for our Fall season.
Me: What's the problem with shipping my order from May?
Daniel: I put a rush on your order.
Me: What result will that get us? Is my order on "back order"?
Daniel: Yes, your order is on back order.
Me: So, when can I truthfully expect delivery? Why wasn't I notified of this?
Daniel: Honestly you will probably not get this order until the Fall.
Me: I have been questioning this situation for 3 weeks. YOU are the first to give me a direct answer.
Daniel: I suspect we will not get it in time to ship out to you and it will roll over. I can cancel if you would like or we can leave open to see what happens.
Me: I live in Zone X. Winters can be harsh. Will Fall planting have a bearing?
Daniel: Yes, we are close to you. A lot of our items ship out of (your state).
Me: Yes, I could have driven to you to get quicker information that trying to contact you via Customer Service (me here: My CS query received no response) and phone calls (calling CS takes you to the Philippines).  So, what about Fall planting of these grass plants?
Daniel: Our discount store has tons of plants right now. You plant them the same in the fall as you do now.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: My experience with SpringHill Nursery

Go to Dave's Garden and tell your story in the forum.  I advise shopping at Bluestone Perennials, very fast shipping and beautiful plants.  Customer service is also great.  

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Go to Dave's Garden and tell your story in the forum.  I advise shopping at Bluestone Perennials, very fast shipping and beautiful plants.  Customer service is also great.  

Thanks for the referral, Mousiegirl.  I just checked with Bluestone Perennials, but they do not have this particular grass.  I suspect it's too late in the season now to find and/or plant it anyway. 

BTW, why did you suggest I go to Dave's Garden with this experience?

Honored Contributor

There is a garden watchdog of mail order companies and locate Springhill Nursery there and relate your story. Its helpful as a 'rating system' for those who do mailorder of plant materials.

Spring Hill Nursery at Garden Watchdog

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I was recommended Hallson Gardens for hosta.   It's perennials and they ship bare root.   They came really nice and asked me when I wanted it shipped.   They have a list of times they will ship.

This is about 4 days after I planted it.

hosta

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic

I second Hallston Gardens for hostas too!

Purchased my Hosta 'Frosted Mouse Ears' from them a few years ago and they are still thriving under some shrubs or in a mini hosta border I set up near my patio.

Hosta Frosted Mouse Ears .jpg

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@debic

I second Hallston Gardens for hostas too!

Purchased my Hosta 'Frosted Mouse Ears' from them a few years ago and they are still thriving under some shrubs or in a mini hosta border I set up near my patio.

Hosta Frosted Mouse Ears .jpg

I looked at those, but I'm trying sun tolerant ones.  Since the weather is cooler here I'm hopeful.   I bought "Stained glass" and "rainbows end" locally as well.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any of 'June' or sports of 'June' are more sun tolerant. 'August Moon' is another sun tolerant. Usually the golden leafed ones are more sun tolerant.

June and her sports-- go to the letter J and June should say (31) click on June and see all of her sports.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to have such good luck with Springhiil products.  This thread reminded me to call for 2 refunds.  I'm gettng 2 checks $8.99 for thornless blackberry & $46.94 for a Red Colonnarde Apple tree.  I also asked them to take me off their mailing list.

I have had better luck at the garden centers in the big box stores.

The Cherry tree is growing like crazy.  I'm so happy about that.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

There is a garden watchdog of mail order companies and locate Springhill Nursery there and relate your story. Its helpful as a 'rating system' for those who do mailorder of plant materials.

Spring Hill Nursery at Garden Watchdog

Thank you, JustJazzMom, for the clarification and link to Dave's Garden.  I used it and did file my Negative review.   I wish I had known to check this site before ordering from Spring Hill Nursery.  I thought I recognized their name as standing for reliability.  Based on the reviews I found afterwards, what it appears they are reliable for is exactly the poor service I received.