Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, re your Oakleaf hydrangea.  I have one that has never bloomed.  It is about 8 years old.  I would love to see it flower.  I have moved it three times in those 8 years and if it doesn't bloom this year, I may pull it.  I have had great successful with every type I have planted and I bet I have 20 or so on my almost 2 acre lot.  This one gets me every year!!!  LM

PS any advice welcome but I am finally ready to concede on this one.

@Lilysmom  Is it situated in a spot where it receives some sun?  Do you fertilize it?  Mine is still in a three gallon pot until I can clear a space for it as I know it needs room, and gets filtered sun.  I bought it last year, so these are the first blooms as the plant was very small when it arrived.  The leaves are fantastic in the Fall, wonderfull coloring, as you know.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, yes, it gets some sun.  I am fertilizing this week and that is done.  I think this just may be a dud.  You are right about the fall foliage. That is the only one reason it has survived in my garden for 8 years!!!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, yes, it gets some sun.  I am fertilizing this week and that is done.  I think this just may be a dud.  You are right about the fall foliage. That is the only one reason it has survived in my garden for 8 years!!!  LM

@Lilysmom  That is really strange that it hasn't bloomed in that amount of time, and the blooms are huge, really beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Mine is sited on a northeastern exposure so it gets sun twice a day --early AM and that late PM sun. Don't prune it now, you may remove flower buds; if you do need to prune it do it after it flowers but before the end of September.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Do you prune the hydrangea?  If so, maybe you are cutting off what will be future buds.  I am just guessing here, as I am sure you know how to grow it. Smiley Happy

Contributor

I'm SOOOOO jealous!!!! My hydrangea bush has always been beautiful and this year it is sticks with green leavesSmiley Sad I really don't think it will be blooming Smiley Sad any advice? I cut back some of the dead steams but still nothing, I didn't want to cut too much and traumatize it but...

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom, I haven't pruned it lately (last couple of years). This shrub is a mystery to me.  In eight years I have done everything under the sun to make it produce blooms.  My DH says it will not do me the service of just dying.  If I get nowhere this year, it has to go if only to give me some peace of mind lol.  I am patient in getting results but eight years is above and beyond the call isn't it?  Especially when there are so many beautiful ones out there calling my name😊😊. LM

Esteemed Contributor

@getch wrote:

I'm SOOOOO jealous!!!! My hydrangea bush has always been beautiful and this year it is sticks with green leavesSmiley Sad I really don't think it will be blooming Smiley Sad any advice? I cut back some of the dead steams but still nothing, I didn't want to cut too much and traumatize it but...

@getch, see @JustJazzmom‘s comments above.  Don't prune it now or you may cut off the flowers.  Prune after it blooms.  Be patient, yours may flower yet.  Sometimes they take a long time.  Is it oakleaf or another kind?

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom, I haven't pruned it lately (last couple of years). This shrub is a mystery to me.  In eight years I have done everything under the sun to make it produce blooms.  My DH says it will not do me the service of just dying.  If I get nowhere this year, it has to go if only to give me some peace of mind lol.  I am patient in getting results but eight years is above and beyond the call isn't it?  Especially when there are so many beautiful ones out there calling my name😊😊. LM

@Lilysmom  Yes, you are patient, I woud have tossed it adfter the second-third year, or kept it for the leaves with other bloomers around it, that would teach it, lol.

Honored Contributor

@getch wrote:

@getch  It depends on your weather.  Are you speaking of an Oakleaf or other type of hydrangea?  Some grow on old wood, some on new wood, and some on old and new wood, so also depends on what type you have.Our weater is warm so all hydrangeas, roses, and many other plants are blooming, or about to.