Respected Contributor

Mums and Fall go together like peanut butter and jelly. Smiley Very Happy I picked up these beauties for my front yard today.

006.JPG

Honored Contributor

They are so pretty, for some reason mums never work out for Me. I usually get some for the porch to go with pumpkins, but after a bit they just turn brown and ugly. So this year no mums. I wish I knew what I do wrong.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

They are so pretty, for some reason mums never work out for Me. I usually get some for the porch to go with pumpkins, but after a bit they just turn brown and ugly. So this year no mums. I wish I knew what I do wrong.

@QVCkitty1

They don't work me for either.  Do yours get a lot of sun?  I was told they need a lot of sun (at least 6 hrs a day) so I guess that's my problem.

@Regal Bee

So pretty.  Wish I had luck with them.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1I have the same problem with mums.  Maybe they DO need more sun, as someone else stated.. Smiley Frustrated

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Re: Mums and Fall

[ Edited ]

Ladies, they do need several hours of sun each day.

Be sure and deadhead them as soon as they start turning brown. Also, they need LOTS of water. If you do this, they should come back each year. 

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

Ladies, they do need several hours of sun each day.

Be sure and deadhead them as soon as they start turning brown. Also, they need LOTS of water. If you do this, they should come back each year. 

Yes, that's how to keep Mums going. I planted my Mums in the ground last Fall and they did come up this season. I'm going to plant the ones I bought this season in one of my raised beds and see what happens.

Honored Contributor

I planted mums at my last house.  They came up year after year.  When the season was over, I cut them to the ground.  They were in full sun and only had water when it rained.  If anybody can kill a plant, it would be me.  Your mum's look great OP.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @Regal Bee. That's what I figured and why I no longer buy them.

Honored Contributor

On warm, fall days, mine needs a half of a sprinkling can of water.

Trusted Contributor

Someone told me that it seems like the yellow mums are the most reliable with coming back year after year - maybe their a little hardier.   After I heard her say that, I thought about my own garden, and yes - it is the yellow ones that I've had the best luck with.

Is that what everyone else is noticing too or, if you do have good luck with mums, is it all colors that keep coming back year after year?