Esteemed Contributor

All of my Iris is in full bloom except for one bunch on the side of the house. I have sparse green foliage, but it hasn't bloomed now for 2 years.

Can I dig it up now and move it (instead of waiting to do it in July when I cut my others back) ?

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously I am no expert since last year i moved six iris that hadn't bloomed for a few years.  I read that it may have been because they were too crowded.  This year only one bloomed beautifully but the others did not -- lots of foiliage but no flowers.  Maybe they will bloom next year?

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  It's best to move these Irises which haven't bloomed for two years.  My hunch would be they don't like their present home.  It could be too crowded for their liking, lighting issue such as blocked lighting from a nearby tree or shrub.  Without seeing the area and the Irises in person there's no way to be accurate as to why.  Transplanting now is fine.  The bulb will have all summer and a full winter dormancy in the new spot, so hopefully next spring they will produce big beautiful blooms.  Be sure to fertilize after the transplant and again next spring.  

Trusted Contributor

I think you very well can  I recently moved a very large Iris from a big pot to a place in the ground while it was in full bloom.  It is doing well and growing.  I'm in FL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma These things are practically indestructible. I would move them whenever you want. I tried to get rid of mine from our yard, dug them up, threw them in a vacant lot (which we owned) and they thrived. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

You can move them anytime of the year...I had several invasive iris at our previous home,  dug them up and threw them out into the woods...the deer found them within two hours and ate every one of the bulbs....must taste good, too!!

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

All of my Iris is in full bloom except for one bunch on the side of the house. I have sparse green foliage, but it hasn't bloomed now for 2 years.

Can I dig it up now and move it (instead of waiting to do it in July when I cut my others back) ?

@Nataliesgramma  I have already dug up some Irises as they didn't bloom, and was afraid the gophers would get them as there was evidence this year of them, unless you think your Irises aer late bloomers.  How long have they not bloomed?  I planted mine in the Fall of 2016, and expected them to bloom the next Spring, but only a few did, but this year, they all bloomed, except for some that I mentioned.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  I have already dug up some Irises as they didn't bloom, and was afraid the gophers would get them as there was evidence this year of them, unless you think your Irises aer late bloomers.  How long have they not bloomed?  I planted mine in the Fall of 2016, and expected them to bloom the next Spring, but only a few did, but this year, they all bloomed, except for some that I mentioned.

It has been 2 years with no blooms....I am going to move them tommorrow..... my other three iris' are all bloomed out already.

I bought a Knockout rose bush to put in its place....

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

It has been 2 years with no blooms....I am going to move them tommorrow..... my other three iris' are all bloomed out already.

I bought a Knockout rose bush to put in its place....

@Nataliesgramma  You know that the rhizomes have to be exposed to the sun, only the roots covered by soil, right?  If the rhizomes are covered, they won't bloom and may rot.