Esteemed Contributor

Miniature Roses as a Houseplant - help!

My DD got me this for Mother's Day last year. I thought it was a gonner...the roses wilted and some of the leaves turned brown.

Then it perked up and got nice & green, though it hasn't produced any more flowers. I don't know why or what made it get so nice & green!

The leaves are starting to brown again. I don't know if I am watering it too much, too little, or too infrequently (which is only 2x a week.) It is in indirect sun, like the planter said. I fertilize all my houseplants once a month.

Any suggestions on how to care for it? To maintain the green leaf color & perhaps flower again?

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: Miniature Roses as a Houseplant - help!

Those giftable mini roses rarely do well in the house as they are not really "houseplants."  I'm impressed to learn it has lasted this long.  I would put it outside as soon as weather permits.  If it's still in the original soil, repot in better commercial potting mix.  You should be able to use the same size pot.

Honored Contributor

Put it in more direct sun, water weekly. These mini roses do not do well in homes inside. I had some of these florist roses & tried to get them to grow outside, but they didn’t do well outside either when I tried to over winter them. Many of these mini roses are cuttings & not actually a single rose plant in the pot. I tried to pot up each individual cutting and though they survived the summer, they didn’t survive the winter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa Those potted miniature roses which are frequently sold in grocers floral departments and as potted plant gifts, like their larger outdoor cousins, prefer full direct sun for best results.  I realize the tag in the pot may have said indirect sun, but I know of no variety or size of rose which will look its best or survive without some full sun.  Roses  eat a lot, and fertilizing once a week won't be too much.  Try a fertilizer specifically for roses. Indoors, you may be able to reduce watering to once per week.  Test the soil by sticking a finger below the surface and you'll be able to feel how dry or moist the plant's roots are.  If dry with only once a week watering go back to twice.  Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

I have had a lot of these but never been successful either indoors or out

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom

I have had the same experience trying to transition those gift miniature roses to the garden. They die, get mildew, never thrive. I have two true miniature roses from the nursery which are just great. They are developed to grow outside in the garden. 

Honored Contributor

Spider mites are a huge problem when grown indoors. You can do it, but you've got to be very vigilant. As others have said, the more sun or light the better. I've had very good success planting them outdoors here in Southern New Jersey. I have a beautiful red one that's been in my back garden for decades, and several yellow ones in my side yard for probably five plus years. I find them to be reliably hardy outdoors here. I suspect the hardiness varies from plant to plant, but mine are very hardy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Another new name Sue Yes, only those designated ‘miniature’ on the tag are for outdoor use. Of course since they are closer to the ground, they are not as disease resistant as their taller counterpart roses. Fungal spores can splash up on leaves during watering be it through rainfall or sprinklers. 

‘Rainbow’s End’ which is deemed disease resistant did get blackspot on the leaves for me & when I potted it into a pot, it ended up dying over one winter. 

Any of the ‘Blaze’ series is not disease resistant at all despite their pretty colors. I had ‘Autumn Blaze’ Great 1st flush of bloom but by mid summer looked spindly due to the leaf loss.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All I can add is that one of my two original miniature roses, called "Orange Honey," is still happy and healthy (in a good sized pot outdoors) and has been for over 35 years.  The other died when I moved to this house that has saltier water than my first house.  But Orange Honey was able to adapt.

Other mini roses I've bought from markets haven't fared as well, but here in northern California, they do well outdoors for the most part. 

By the way, anyone in California noticing leaf distortion again this year? There is less this year, but I still see some.

Not only (some) roses were affected, but plants like xylosma.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom

Rainbows end is my most successful miniature. It just blooms and looks so cheerful. I have no trouble with rust or black spot, but humidity is not too high here. The bush does sit close to the ground too.