Esteemed Contributor

Re: Male and Female Hummingbirds...

@Mimi 1883, I had ants as well, until I bought "ant moats". They are cup shaped, filled with water and attach with hooks above your hummingbird feeder. They absolutely prevent ants from getting into the feeders because they can't get past the water. You can google them or go to Duncraft.com to see what they look like. They also are carried at Lowe's and Home Depot for $3 or $4 (around that price).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Mimi 1883, I had ants as well, until I bought "ant moats". They are cup shaped, filled with water and attach with hooks above your hummingbird feeder. They absolutely prevent ants from getting into the feeders because they can't get past the water. You can google them or go to Duncraft.com to see what they look like. They also are carried at Lowe's and Home Depot for $3 or $4 (around that price).

@jannabelle1  Thank you! Will definitely have to try the moats. 👍 Now, if I only we could figure out how to squirrel-proof the feeder! The birds will even sit on the deck railing alerting us to fill the feeder. One little guy even pecks on the window. 😄 Poor guys don't stand a chance against them. we've tried different tactics, but zero luck. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@jannabelle1  Thank you! Will definitely have to try the moats. 👍 Now, if I only we could figure out how to squirrel-proof the feeder! The birds will even sit on the deck railing alerting us to fill the feeder. One little guy even pecks on the window. 😄 Poor guys don't stand a chance against them. we've tried different tactics, but zero luck. 

@Mimi 1883   You can easily squirrel proof a feeder.  Is your feeder hanging on a pole?  If not, you should do that first.  You can buy a raccoon guard to put on the pole.  It prevents squirrels and raccoons from climbing up to your feeder.  Make sure it's not in a place where squirrels can jump from the trees to the feeder.  An alternative to that would be to buy a squirrel buster feeder.  When a squirrel tries to get the seed from the hole, the hole closes due to their weight and they can't get it.  I the racoon guard for my feeders in my back yard and a squirrel buster feeder in my front yard.  I haven't had a problem with squirrels since putting these in place.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Mimi 1883   You can easily squirrel proof a feeder.  Is your feeder hanging on a pole?  If not, you should do that first.  You can buy a raccoon guard to put on the pole.  It prevents squirrels and raccoons from climbing up to your feeder.  Make sure it's not in a place where squirrels can jump from the trees to the feeder.  An alternative to that would be to buy a squirrel buster feeder.  When a squirrel tries to get the seed from the hole, the hole closes due to their weight and they can't get it.  I the racoon guard for my feeders in my back yard and a squirrel buster feeder in my front yard.  I haven't had a problem with squirrels since putting these in place.

@NickNack  Thank you. That's the problem, we have trees all around the yard. The back yard and one side yard connects to the woods and even the front yard has a lot of trees. You would be surprised how far those little guys can jump! 😄 You've more than likely seen that yourself.

We do have a long cylindrical bird feeder that holds small seeds that the small birds enjoy. We have a lot of cardinals and blue jays that devour the sunflower seeds I put out using a large terra cotta dish. It's fine as long as we're out there working in the yard - the birds come and the squirrels stay away as they're people shy and our dog is always out with us. It's sad because I enjoy sitting on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee and like to watch them flying to and from a feeder.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883   Since you don't have an area in your. yard where the squirrels can't jump to the feeders, you might want to get a Squirrel Buster Plus bird feeder.  I have one of these right beside a tree.  The squirrels used to jump to the feeder, but now they can't get the food.

This is a great feeder.  When the squirrels land on it, the hole to get the seed closes up because of their weight.  It works perfectly.

600C2090-3885-4430-9A38-ABC2344BF778.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack  Thanks for that! I've seen them hang unside down and use they front paws to grab the seed and shovel it in their mouths. 😄 However, this one looks like they might not be able to do that? Is this from Home Depot or Lowe's? I think that might actually work! 👍

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883   I ordered mine from Amazon, but in doing a search I see that Lowe's has it, too.  It's cheaper from Amazon.  Be sure to get the Squirrel Buster Plus and not just the Squirrel Buster.  It's expensive but I feel like it will last forever.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Mimi 1883   I ordered mine from Amazon, but in doing a search I see that Lowe's has it, too.  It's cheaper from Amazon.  Be sure to get the Squirrel Buster Plus and not just the Squirrel Buster.  It's expensive but I feel like it will last forever.

@NickNack  Thank you! I did Not expect you to go to all that trouble. I just thought it was an easy answer of Home Depot of Lowe's. Thanks again for this great solution for the squirrel situation and for all the research which I could've done. Much appreciated! 😘

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Mimi 1883   Since you don't have an area in your. yard where the squirrels can't jump to the feeders, you might want to get a Squirrel Buster Plus bird feeder.  I have one of these right beside a tree.  The squirrels used to jump to the feeder, but now they can't get the food.

This is a great feeder.  When the squirrels land on it, the hole to get the seed closes up because of their weight.  It works perfectly.

600C2090-3885-4430-9A38-ABC2344BF778.jpeg

@NickNack  I got it!!  😁 We bought the 'plus' as you suggested. I filled it up with sunflower seeds and my husband is hanging it right now! Hopefully it will work!

🤞 Thank you for telling me about this!! 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883   I'm so glad you got it!  Let me know how you like it.

-Henry David Thoreau