Respected Contributor

This past fall, I noticed it wasn't flowering like it had,  and no buds.  I kept up with fertilizer,  and watched for disease.  Still no blooms, so I pruned it.  I did see some occasional suckers from the ground, but I removed them, and kept the base free and clear.  After pruning, new canes came up, with plenty of leaves.  They looked greener and different from the original canes, leaves looked narrow too.  After several months, nothing budded.  I then cut everything off.  All that was left was the bottom of the crown, that looked very brown.  Turned out it was dead.

I dont understand what the new growth was?   Hubby took it out, said it was dead☹.  It was my FAVORITE rose...strong sweet smell, and never dropped its blooms, 5in. rose blooms, just gorgeous.  I hear people have rose bushes for 20 years, and some of mine die in 3 yrs.  Very discouraging.    My daughter ordered me a Simplicity Lavender Hedge rose for Christmas, should come in spring.   I'd still like to try another Neptune.   All of my roses are from Weeks nursery...I think its time to switch,  or quit.  Difficult to raise roses in steamy, wet, hot Florida.  But I love them, and will miss them.

Esteemed Contributor

You mentioned WET  Florida...........that could be the issue.  Roses need good drainage.  Could you try again with a different location?

You have the SUN that roses require - but a higher spot to plant might be worth it.

I would try another Neptune..............go for it........

Honored Contributor

The Neptune roses are beautiful and they smell good.  Unfortunally, they are a hybrid variety.

I have roses that are older than I am.  They were planted by my grandmother before I was born.  I have transplanted them twice when I moved and they are still going strong. My younger sister has some too.  We dug them up before our childhood home was sold.

But, I have found that hybrid roses are not as hardy as the old heritage types.  Maybe for other people, but not for me.

Since you enjoy them so much, buy another.  If you get theee years enjoyment from it, that is great.  If it lasts longer, all the better.  

Honored Contributor

Hybrid roses are grafted onto the root stock of a  another variety of rose, typically an ugly dark maroon climbing rose.  That was undoubtedly the new, different growth you saw.  I had a hybrid lavender rose that I didn't like and thought I'd killed it.  Up came these long canes of the root stock.  I had a heck of a time getting rid of them.

@JustJazzmom gives a better explanation than I.  Perhaps she'll chime in.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: MY NEPTUNE ROSE DIED...

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hybrid roses are grafted onto the root stock of a  another variety of rose, typically an ugly dark maroon climbing rose.  That was undoubtedly the new, different growth you saw.  I had a hybrid lavender rose that I didn't like and thought I'd killed it.  Up came these long canes of the root stock.  I had a heck of a time getting rid of them.

@JustJazzmom gives a better explanation than I.  Perhaps she'll chime in.

Many grafted roses are grafted onto certain rootstocks such as fortiana rose or the Dr. Huey rose which is tall, lanky & has red blossoms. The nursery industry uses grafted rootstock so that the rose above it gets a jump on growth & is faster to market over the own root roses.

This is partly the reason I switched to own root ungrafted roses. If the own root dies to the ground over the winter, it will send out new growth in the spring.

@Dazlin  You can buy Neptune as an own root rose from several mail order rose companies. Yes, the own roots are a lot smaller than the local nursery roses in containers, but by the end of the first year, they have caught up to the same rose from that nursery container. 

May I suggest a similar & disease resistant rose called Poseidon? It's a German bred Kordes rose, gets fragrant lavender colored roses and is a beautiful rose.

Mailorder own root companies:

Heirloom Roses sells both roses -- Neptune is a hybrid tea & Poseidon is a floribunda. Located in Oregon.

Roses Unlimited also sells both roses. Located in SC. 

Chamblee's Roses sells Poseidon. Located in TX. 

Note: shipping & handling is high but you are getting a well packaged rose being transported through the UPS network. I have used these 3 companies for years & I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't stand by their products. They do!

Grafted roses should be planted below the surface so the graft union is below ground. This keeps the union warm over the winter & prevents graft failure. 

Our parents/grandparents planted grafted roses with the graft union above ground. This was thought to prevent sucker formation of the nurse root. But it also increased graft failure. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , thank you!!   I will look at the own root you suggested,  and will try again.   So hard to figure, because some do well, and yet some don't.   

Appreciate your knowledgeable reply!

Respected Contributor

I'm on notice at Heirloom Rose's for the Neptune.  Should be available by spring.  Idk what the shipping cost is.  Thanks, @JustJazzmom .   I checked the other sites you mentioned, they don't have it.    

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  They may be out of stock because the shipping season just ended. Call those companies on Monday & ask them when it will be back in stock & ask about shipping costs, Heirloom is an excellent company.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Dazlin  They may be out of stock because the shipping season just ended. Call those companies on Monday & ask them when it will be back in stock & ask about shipping costs, Heirloom is an excellent company.

@JustJazzmom , I will call, I also sent an email.  Im subscribed too.  Thx!

Respected Contributor

just jazz mom--

Thank you for your very informative post.