Honored Contributor

I love gardening.. but, fall is so much work with all the maple leaves I have to rake up!  Hours and hours of raking. I try to keep up or my yard is just buried.  Anyone else in the same boat?

Honored Contributor

I have a blower, it's amazing

Blows like a jet engine.

Lightweight.

I can't wait for fall to use it.

Esteemed Contributor

A TORO blows those puppies right to the woods.  More work when leaves stick to the wet grass - as is now.  No raking.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Blows like a jet engine.

Lightweight.

I can't wait for fall to use it.

@software    so... you blow them into a big pile and then do what?  Don't you still have to put them into a yard waste container?  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

A TORO blows those puppies right to the woods.  More work when leaves stick to the wet grass - as is now.  No raking.

@fthunt    oh... I see... I have no woods...

I have to manually put them into the one yard waste container we are given and it is picked up once a week.... so It takes me MONTHS of filling this container each week until they are gone... then it is spring LOL!    I pay  for the container to be picked up weekly... and if I put out paper bags of leaves I am charged $3.00 an extra bag of yard waste.  So, I try not to put out the extra bags to keep my bill down.

Honored Contributor

Ideally, you can run the lawnmower over them, rather than raking.  The shredded leaves are great fertilizer for the lawn.  But that's not always possible, especially if they're deep - which can happen if you've had wet weather and have been unable to get out there with the mower.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Blows like a jet engine.

@software    Yes.... I hear those" jet engines" often around my neighboorhood  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Our whole neighborhood has lawn services, so those jet engines are around all summer and then for fall cleanup and then spring cleanup.

My husband has a riding mower and a big bag attached for leaves, however we gave this up years ago and have had a lawn service ever since.

Respected Contributor

I just have one big maple tree and then whatever blows in from other yards. The maple usually doesn't even drop until near the end of Nov. In my township, you can rake them out on the street to the curb and they vacuum them, but the issue with that is you never know when they'll be in your area and you rake them out and eventually they just blow back in your yard. I tried it last year and the day they finally picked up, someone parked right over them and they couldn't vacuum them up. I do get a lot of help from my neighbors, also. They blow them and vacuum them as I rake. They put them in their composter for their garden.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love gardening.. but, fall is so much work with all the maple leaves I have to rake up!  Hours and hours of raking. I try to keep up or my yard is just buried.  Anyone else in the same boat?

@SeaMaiden  I use all of our leaves as compost, really enrich the soil