Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kneehigh by the Fourth of July

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't know where that saying "kneehigh by the fourth of July" came from, because it seems to be far from true unless you're in a drought-stricken area.

I don't know where this saying came from either. I just remember it "always" being said.  It is usually true around here (mid-Michigan), however this year because of all the rain we've had, the corn is twice as tall.

That is why I started this thread.  I don't remember ever seeing the corn this tall this early in July.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

In Western NY, it seems every available acre has been put into corn.  It's all going to the ethanol plants.

Honored Contributor

I bought 6 dozen ears of corn today to put in the freezer.  I always buy the corn from my daughters friends in a neighboring county who sell it as their number one cash crop in the summer.   They come in twice a week with a pickup truck load, and usually sell out within 4 hours.   

Esteemed Contributor

Can't wait to have our first feed of local corn.  One of summer's treats.  At least a month away here.  When we were kids, we used to have corn eating contests.  My father had a HUGE vegetable garden.  I think we fed half the town!  LM

Honored Contributor

I love fresh corn on the cob...  now I know what to made next to the chicken enchiladas tonight! OH, and fresh guacamole too!

The corn we've seen in the last couple of weeks was a little higher than knee-height!  Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*