Respected Contributor

Japanese beetles!!!!!!!😡🤬

They just recently came and ate my gorgeous roses!!!!! I am so mad. Last year I didn't have any.

How you, experts, fighting them if it happens to you?

Thank you

Super Contributor

Re: Japanese beetles!!!!!!!😡🤬

I always bought those japanese beetle traps.  Its like a long plastic bag with a special yellow color and a sweet scent to lure them to fallin to the bag.  get them at the garden center near you.  maybe $10.00 for 2 bags should last the season.  Just remember do not place the trap near your roses.

Honored Contributor

I bought the Japanese beetle traps. They did an excellent job.

BUT I swear they attracted beetles from all over the neighborhood. I was cleaning out the bag every day. There were so many that they started to stink if I let the bag just sit for a few days.

I finally used milky spore on the lawn around the rose bush. It took awhile but it got rid of the Japanese beetles. 

Esteemed Contributor

I get them every year. 

I use a very direct approach as I avoid using any pesticides.

Wearing a garden glove, I pick off any Japanese Beetle I see and throw it to the ground, immediately employing a "stomp & drag" action before they can fly off.

(It's the "drag" that does it)

Honored Contributor

Milky spore is only effective when the soil temps do not dip too low. Warmer soils like in Hardiness zone 8 & up do better with milky spore application which only works against Japanese beetle grubs.

The Japanese beetle traps work best when put on the perimeters of your property (or your neighbors!) 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I get them every year. 

Wearing a garden glove, I pick off any Japanese Beetle I see and throw it to the ground, immediately employing a "stomp & drag" action before they can fly off.

They also release a scent when crushed.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

They just recently came and ate my gorgeous roses!!!!! I am so mad. Last year I didn't have any.

How you, experts, fighting them if it happens to you?

Thank you

I had them last year and they just stripped my yellow roses. They didn't bother the other ones. I sprayed with  a product called seven and it took care of them.

Contributor

I get a ton of them, too.  I will not use insecticides like Seven as they can also hurt birds, butterflies, and helpful insects.  I go around my yard a couple of times a day with an old yogurt container with soapy water.  It is easy to just knock them off the plants and into the water.  I can get over a hundred a day during peak season!  It is strangely satisfying! I dump the container into my yard after a few hours to be sure they are all dead.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

I get them every year. 

They also release a scent when crushed.

Interesting, @JustJazzmom .

I never smelled anything.

I suppose it's a stinky scent intended to repel anything threatening them.

Honored Contributor

I don't normally get them too much here, but they're bad this year. The good news is they tend to be relatively short-lived as a problem and then they move on. The beetles here have developed a taste for my impatiens which are normally insect-proof. I'm just riding it out and waiting for them to wander off. The density does seem to be decreasing now which is good. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!