Honored Contributor

Insect friend - praying mantis

A praying mantis egg sac on the house wall.  If you see something like this on your wall or on a shrub this year (or next, for those of you already with wintery weather), you are in luck and will have a friend in the garden.

DSCN0847.JPG

And here is a young one in the asparagus fern hanging plant, peeking at me through the window.  (The older ones are tan/brown.)

DSCN0789.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Insect friend - praying mantis

@GingerPeach  They are not always a 'friend'. We patrol our gardens to keep they out. They will eat Hummingbirds!

Honored Contributor

You're right, @Susan Louise .   Sadly, I forgot about that.

One article I read is that this practice is increasing due to humans' tendency to both attract hummingbirds with feeders and then releasing mantises for insect control.  

I guess we all know that nature is all too often best left alone.  Not that I'm perfect, but I no longer feed hummingbirds but instead grow salvia and other flowers that they really like.  I hope I never find a hummer that a mantis has grabbed.  It's pretty disturbing, isn't it, SusanLouise?  Wow.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

You're right, @Susan Louise .   Sadly, I forgot about that.

One article I read is that this practice is increasing due to humans' tendency to both attract hummingbirds with feeders and then releasing mantises for insect control.  

I guess we all know that nature is all too often best left alone.  Not that I'm perfect, but I no longer feed hummingbirds but instead grow salvia and other flowers that they really like.  I hope I never find a hummer that a mantis has grabbed.  It's pretty disturbing, isn't it, SusanLouise?  Wow.  

@GingerPeach  Insects are very intelligent and for the most part we don't give them enough credit. Of coarse it is just their instinct, but even so. About once or twice during each Fall migration period we even have to remove them from Hummingbird feeders. They will stay perched and stalk waiting for a victim...for lunch or dinner that is.

I have been trying to search my pic files on the laptop because I know I have taken a pic of two of them on a feeder, but having difficulty locating the pics. I don't remember what folder they are in...yyym0945.gif

If I find one I'll post a pic.

As for you growing Salvias, you are growing plants to attract hummingbirds. Salvias are one of their favorites  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

When I was a young girl, I saw these on a forsythia bush.   I cut a few branches and brought them indoors to force the blooms.  I didn't know what the egg cases were, but though they were interesting.

Imagine my surprise when we got up on Sunday morning and the praying Mantis eggs hatched.  There were thousands of them all over the kitchen.  Some even got into my sister's coconut cake.  We had to vacuum them up as fast as we could.

Never again will I ever bring one indoors.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting..........well I learned something new today.  But....re: hummingbirds - do the praying mantis eat/destroy hummer's eggs or what?  Hummers are fast - can't imagine any 'bug' catching one. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Interesting..........well I learned something new today.  But....re: hummingbirds - do the praying mantis eat/destroy hummer's eggs or what?  Hummers are fast - can't imagine any 'bug' catching one. 

@fthunt  @GingerPeach  Just google "praying manthis eats hummingbird". You will see an image.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

@fthunt  @GingerPeach  Just google "praying manthis eats hummingbird". You will see an image.

Be ready to cover your eyes, @fthunt  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Be ready to cover your eyes, @fthunt  

@GingerPeach  Good suggestion, but it does help prove what I've been saying and saves me from searching for our pics...LOL

Every aspect of nature is driven by survival mode Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'd heard about hummers and praying mantises (mantii? lol) but saw it for myself five years ago.  My hummingbird feeder was hanging under the deck, only six to eight inches from a vertical deck support.  A praying mantis was on the deck support next to the feeder, just hanging out and waiting for its prey.  It was creepy; the mantis could stand on the vertical support and reach out with its two front legs.  It didn't catch anything while I was watching, and I would have intervened if things got dicey.

At any rate, here are some rather graphic photos from birdwatchersdigest.  View at your own risk.   The author, from West Chester, PA, describes how the praying mantis attacks the hummer.

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.php?sc=migrate