Respected Contributor

Re: I HAVE A PIGEON IN MY FEEDER...

@Bird mama wrote:

@Dazlin   Birds hang out where there is food. 

If you see a band on either of the pigeon's legs then it didn't start it's life out as feral.  Some banded birds that start their life in captivity do break free and join feral flocks.

@Bird mama ,  its pretty friendly, I tried to get close to take a pic, but then flew on my lanai.  I didnt see any band, but has big pinkish feet, nice iridescent purple/ pink on its neck.  I'll keep looking at it when I can..thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin I believe you - Pigeons found our backyard about 3 years ago - sometimes 6 shows up and they vacuum up the seeds on the ground.  Have always had M Dove - they don't appear very smart - they clog around the yard.  YES, I have pigeons and know the difference.  White ones are with a darker feathered one (probably the female).  But they don't or can't fit on the feeders - roof tops to yard is their norm.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt , thanks for believing me...I know the difference between a morning dove and a pigeon, ha.  I was pretty surprised to see it, but my husband spotted it first on the birdbath and called me saying, you've got a new visitor, a pigeon!!   I really don't mind, but it plops itself in the feeder all day.  I'll see what happens tomorrow and maybe I'll just do as suggested here and take down that one feeder.  I kinda feel bad for it all by himself.   I appreciate those of you who gave advice .

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

Take it from me,even though it is hard........

STOP FEEDING FOR A WHILE!!!!

untill it goes away.  I did not do that  Smiley Sad

I now have over 100 giant pigeons here ,eating ( and fornicating everywhere..lol)

They eat up every seed I put out and noone else can get any!!!

This has been going on for 2 or 3 years!. I cannot get rid of them.They bring their offspring! They leave a "spotter" to watch every move I make.

When I come out they fly around me for food. It kills me to stop but it has to be done.No other birds will ever be able to eat again. 

My neighbors report me to the town.....bird poop everywhere  Smiley Sad   It has become a horror!

The birds will be ok and will return when the pigeons are gone  BUT, make sure they are gone before you resume feeding.

GODD LUCK!!!

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma ..Ohhh nooo, that's crazy.  I like Pigeon's, but I would never want so many like like that.  I didn't like that my usual birds were avoiding that feeder, so I started chasing the pigeon off. As of today, it hasn't come down to feed. My husband saw it on the roof earlier,  but I haven't seen it all day, so maybe it'll move on. 

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin 

nothin.

leave 'im be.

it's nature, not a child you gave birth to and worry it's being lazy and needs a job!

Smiley Wink wink!!!

let 'im do 'is thing till he finally gets bored and goes onto another tree/feeder/branch/car hood etc...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I love the cooing of the doves, they eat dropped seeds in my yard,no trouble at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I believe the Pigeon has gone...haven't seen him yesterday or today.  I'm happy, because he was alone, so perhaps hes gone back to his flock. 

I see some of you are still speaking of doves...they're welcome anytime, I have them all day.  Again, this is a lonely pidgeon, very different from the Doves.  So far, I guess hes gone...I think someone has a coop nearby. 

I have a friend that raises White Pigeon's...he uses them occasionally for weddings and funerals.  He told me how many miles they will return back to him after releasing them at an occasion.  I dont think he does it anymore, and he only had white ones.  Very interesting to know.