Honored Contributor

My feeders have been out for almost a week and no takers yet. 

Anybody seeing. Is it's right now in the NYC Metro area?

I WANT MY HUMMERS!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm convinced the hummers only come to my feeders when I'm not home.  "Hey, Louie - she's driving out of the garage, it's time to go to the feeders"   I keep the hummer feeders cleaned and filled starting the first week of April.  So far, I haven't seen one, but somebody is drinking that sugar water.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I've had the same experience of no hummers. I was wondering if the liquid could evaporate from the feeders. I took them down, gave up. We have plenty of flowers. I try to plant for hummers, bees, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a bit early for us in New England.  They usually show up here sometime in May.   I did see my first yellow finches though just the other day, a sure sign of warmer weather Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in your same general area of the country. I do not expect to see hummers until next week at the earliest, according to sources that map such things. Don't even have my feeders out yet- too cold.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

My feeders have been out for almost a week and no takers yet. 

Anybody seeing. Is it's right now in the NYC Metro area?

I WANT MY HUMMERS!

Your way to early. I live in NE WV, and I put mine out 5th of May and I then I see hummers, they are put up by a Dogwood tree, and when it blooms they come, and it is just starting to open up. I keep my feeder cleaned every  week, and don't put them in the sun. it sours the sugar water. I've been doing this for many years, and it works. Be Patient, they will come.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Ohio and we usually see them the last week of April/first week in May...

I am excited and waiting too.....I bought 2 new feeders this year...

Valued Contributor

None in North-Western Maryland yet. I put my feeder out this weekend. Just preparing for a possible early visitor. I wonder how the hummers with do with these darn Cicadas we're going to get. 

Honored Contributor

I'm much farther south than you are and I just had my first hummingbirds show up last week.

I will say that they're about 10 days earlier than usual, so yours may be a bit early also when they do show up.

Trusted Contributor

They're in my backyard.  California.