Esteemed Contributor

We had a problem with gophers around 5 yrs ago then they seemed to dissapear and now they are back !! We just figured that they died finally...no such luck !

there were new dirt piles this morning, must be when he digs, first thing in the morning. they are near my favorite tree in the yard and I am worried that it will eat through the roots of our tree and kill it. Not sure about that, but it seems that if all the dirt is dug up around the tree and the roots are eaten into that would happen.

Does anyone know if that will happen and what on earth can we do to rid our yard of this or these gritters ?? We have tried several things in the past, examples putting exlax in the hole , spearmint gum, and bleach, none worked. These were things we were told by a coworker to do. Dont want to put poision cause neighborhood cats sometimes cross our lawn and besides the tree would be harmed also. Would apprciate any help ..

Honored Contributor

Check in your area for a green or organic exterminator / pest control expert. They should be able to help you out.

Esteemed Contributor

I had so many gophers in California I was afraid to walk on the ground. I've only had one here in 6 years. I got rid of it two years ago and haven't had a problem since. In Cali they ate my plants & shrubs right up to the trunk. Not even a nub left.

Esteemed Contributor

I was able to find a cure.... mole max, they sell it in our area. It is organic and not harmful to pets or plants, shrubs etc. It is granules and you put it down with a spreader like you ue for grass seed or fertilizer.

Honored Contributor
On 3/4/2014 Kitty Galore said:

I was able to find a cure.... mole max, they sell it in our area. It is organic and not harmful to pets or plants, shrubs etc. It is granules and you put it down with a spreader like you ue for grass seed or fertilizer.

The main ingredient in this is castor oil. Mole Max

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Products like Mole max are effective against moles. That won't solve a gopher problem.

Moles are carnivores. They eat grubs, but can harm your plants when they tunnel under the roots, and destroy them.

Gophers are vegetarians and actually eat the roots. Gophers are a much bigger problem. We plant all our new plants in gopher baskets, but sometimes they come up on top of the ground, climb into the area around the baskets, and get to the roots anyway.

If you're very diligent, you can trap them. Or hope that the local feral cats or bobcats get them.

I wish I had an answer! Some years we have few problems, and other years, they're very prevalent.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/4/2014 september said:

Products like Mole max are effective against moles. That won't solve a gopher problem.

Moles are carnivores. They eat grubs, but can harm your plants when they tunnel under the roots, and destroy them.

Gophers are vegetarians and actually eat the roots. Gophers are a much bigger problem. We plant all our new plants in gopher baskets, but sometimes they come up on top of the ground, climb into the area around the baskets, and get to the roots anyway.

If you're very diligent, you can trap them. Or hope that the local feral cats or bobcats get them.

I wish I had an answer! Some years we have few problems, and other years, they're very prevalent.

MoleMax Granules

Mole and vole repellent granules and bulb protector. Repel moles, voles, gophers, rabbits, armadillos, skunks?.. in lawns, flower beds, gardens?. Clean, dustless, biodegradable granules are safe for use around children, plants and pets. 1 lb. treats 500 sq. ft. and lasts up to 3 months. Contains Rucinus Communis Oil (Castor Oil) ? 10%. Not for sale in AK, IN, KY, NM.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Bette, have you ever actually had success in using Molemax with gophers? And I can't believe they claim it will work against rabbits. We have those, too!

Fortunately, we don't have to deal with armadillos.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/4/2014 september said:

Bette, have you ever actually had success in using Molemax with gophers? And I can't believe they claim it will work against rabbits. We have those, too!

Fortunately, we don't have to deal with armadillos.

Yes, I have a lot of those type of critters because I have soft, sandy soil. It's a repellant, it does not kill them. They don't like it.

I've also had some success with moth balls.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Cats are their natural enemy. I have found for both gophers and moles, if you put dirty cat litter in the holes they supposedly can smell the enemy and leave. If you have inside cats it is worth a try and won't cost you anything.