Esteemed Contributor

HUGE plumbing issue this week: now my front yard garden is gone...

[ Edited ]

You know how we all work at creating what we can to make our front and back yards the places that not only reflect us, but also look pretty nice, too.

Well, when we made our final move into a "new" home for us in a new city, I jumped right in.  One of the things I always wanted to create was a riverbed of grape hyacinth with rocky "banks," meandering through our front yard.  This year in particular it has looked simply wonderful and many neighbors stop to look at it during daily walks.  Put in great border plants, daffodils, tulips, dahlias, peonies, day lilies and the list goes on.  They're all lost.

With the horried plumbing issue which surfaces 2.5 weeks ago, the plumbing company had to dig up 3/4 of my front yard and nearly everything is gone.   I mean gone.  They had to dig down 4.5 feet to get to the pipes.

I'm just sick about this and what doesn't help is that my husband thinks it's great, as he didn't like anything I planted anyway - as if he knows a daisy from a slug.

In my garage are bulbs just received that need to be planted.  However, I'm hesitant to do so after the plumbers complete this huge job today, as I know the soil needs to settle big time.  If any of you have some advice on planting in recently very, very disturbed soil, please, please do post here and let me know.  Thanks so much.

Regular Contributor

Re: HUGE plumbing issue this week: now my front yard garden is gone...

I feel your pain!.  2 years ago the plumber had to dig up nearly 1/2 of my back yard due to sewer problems and their replacement ( won't go into detail but they were here nearly 2 weeks and the cost$$$$$$$).  Anyway, after 2 years, I have not done anything to repair that part of the lawn.  With all the rain and snow, the ground is still settling but I think they had to dig deeper in my lawn because of my situation.  With regard to planting, I suggest you check with a landscaper or nursery and they could help you.  Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Plant them in containers for this year - next year in the ground.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katrinka23

Really, really sorry about your backyard.  Ours is a sewer issue too.

Need to thank you for the advice to check with a local nursery.  Great thought!  I'll head over to the one we go to all the time, perhaps tomorrow, and see what they say.

I have bulbs that need to go into the ground now, so will be taking a chance with those and hope all goes well.

Hope you're able to develop your backyard back to a pleasing outdoor feature sometime soon.  (Better Homes and Gardens and Martha Stewart both have contests going on for backyard sweetstakes: 25K and 10K.  Who knows?  Someone has to win.)

Esteemed Contributor

We experienced two events similar to yoiurs involving the sewer line and the gas line at opposite ends of our back yard. UGH!!! The ground does need to settle and you may even notice a "second settle" the next year. We did but our soil tends to be more clay and rock. I would not plant in the exact spot that they dug. I would plant around it to disquise it a bit. I also would add extra dirt on the area. You might also consider those soil additives to the effective area to insure "good dirt" once the ground is settled. 

My only other thought is to forget about the in ground planting and use huge planters or a raised garden beds as your focal points. You may need to start from scratch and scale back this first year. It is so disappointing once you have finally acheived the look you want in your gardens. I wish you luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Plant them in containers for this year - next year in the ground.

@fthunt

You know...that's exactly what I just told my husband and he thought I was nuts. 

Thank you for your reply.  I feel much better now!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa

Wonderful advice!  Thank you so much!

A raised bed, plus containers, sounds really interesting and quite do-able.

So sorry to hear about your experience.  Sounds as though its ramifications were rather huge.  I'm grateful for your comment, as a result of your experience, expecially the 2nd shift.

Thanks, again.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative  I'm really sorry to hear of your bad experience.  I live in a condo, but I had a similar experience.  I had many bulbs and perennials planted in front of my condo for many years.  Well I had a serious drain problem (water going into my basement sump instead of out through the sewer lines).  They had to dig up the whole one side and into the courtyard to replace the drain pipes, so you know what I wound up with.  Here's the strange part.....nearly every plant and bulb came back up the next year, and currently I'm looking at a huge bunch of daffodils blooming.  They have continued to spread in the couple years since.  Even the perennials have come back.  Some were in slightly different locations, but not really that much.  Don't ask me how this happened!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

That's too bad, but I'd wait a year for the ground to settle. Also, since your husband wasn't keen on what you had previously done, this year off might do you both good. Plan together for next year!

Honored Contributor

One thing I would suggest is keep the soil wet so you can tamp it down and not wait a year for it to happen naturally. 

Bulbs can be planted at their usual time (in the fall). Keep them in a dry cool place until you decide to replant in the soil.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼