Esteemed Contributor

Re: HUGE plumbing issue this week: now my front yard garden is gone...

@sfnative, what a bummer!

I really like the notion of doing different and beautiful containers with plants. I have seen some gorgeous containers and/or water features that make me want to try something like that.  You could use river rock as a base to surround the containers.  Makes the upkeep so easy.

Here are a couple of thoughts from Pinterest.

555E2306-2F0D-4030-BEB8-9A8CC266F63C.jpeg

I don’t know if you saw my posts about the loss of two 50’ spruce trees in a nor’easter but that happened to us Christmas Day.  When the trees came down, that took a huge piece of the grass and gardens around the trees and completely uprooted it.  We did a pretty good job dealing with the trees but are now left with trying to figure out what is anything survived in the garden. This early in Spring we can’t tell.  See below.  This is the base of the two uprooted trees.

8052A77B-C805-4EE7-BECA-C25E6BBEBD55.jpeg

The two photos below include the uprooted garden area.  

89F9ADF9-0664-4B37-A769-74B45838784F.jpeg

FCB16F14-C6CE-4FAC-84A8-FB62F49A7AF7.jpeg

I now am considering new options for this area.  It is an opportunity to create a new vista.  In addition, the lighting here is completely different now that the towering spruce are gone. 

Have be fun doing your new space.  Make it low care.  Good luck.  I hope you will post some photos of your transformation.  I would love to see them!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde

The experience sounds as though it was quite awful, but then to have your bulbs and plants rebound like that is quite extraordinary.  Wonderful!

Lost many of my tulips to the big "ice" we had last year, so need to replenish big time.  Soooo glad we didn't plant last fall.  That was due to my husband not being able to make up his mind re colors he wanted - he's a Libra through and through.  This year I'm not waiting for him.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

That's too bad, but I'd wait a year for the ground to settle. Also, since your husband wasn't keen on what you had previously done, this year off might do you both good. Plan together for next year!

@AuntG

I really appreciate the sentiment.  However, all he wants are dinner plate dahlias.  That's it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom

I need to thank you so much for taking the time to venture over to Pinterest in order to provide options and photos for me to view here.  The two photos with bubbling fountains REALLY got me thinking, big time.

I love the one with the large river stones around it.  This led me to think about the simply dreadful and humongous boxwoods (2) in front really close to the house.  One I call "the coffin bush," because it resembles a coffin and the other one simply sits there.  Both are huge.  Based on your post, I now want these puppies outta there once and for all.  Going to replace the coffin bush with a rhodie, as it will hide our A/C unit.  Will not replace the 2nd boxwood.

I am now certifiably excited!!!  Thank you sooooooo much - and everyone else as well, as I will be containerizing - already have a Martha Stewart basket container with plants which needed to go out front last week, so am behind there.

Thank you, thank you, again - Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

We had to have sewer work done a few years ago (2014).  It was pretty disruptive, but needed to be done, although I hated the process.  And it was costly.

The gardens are recovering.  Can't live in a house without a functioning sewer.  We rebuild.  I do understand your pain.  Nature is resilient.  We can take a lesson from her, I guess.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative, Rebecca, have some fun with it.  I always take that view when a mini disaster hits my gardens for whatever reason.  My gardens are mature now so I hardly ever get a fresh slate.  Seems like all I do is move stuff around instead of doing new plantings.

If you’re inclined, post photos as go you.  Would love to see the new garden.  Good luck!  LM

PS, think drought resistant and hardy in your plant selection.  I am sure you do already, but just a reminder!  We never used to get such long hot spells here in Nova Scotia but we do now so I try to be mindful.

Honored Contributor

Dinner Plate Dahlias! I love the name. Wonder if I could grow them.

Respected Contributor

Ugggghhhhh!!!! This is the worst.

Tips:

Hire a landscaper to prep and fill the yard to minimize years of "settling" or uneven settle- where you have odd low and high spots.

Since we had recently spent $$$$$ landscaping and stonework we supplied the receipts to our homeowners insurance and we were covered for that part of the project.  Check with your insurance co.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@sfnative, Rebecca, have some fun with it.  I always take that view when a mini disaster hits my gardens for whatever reason.  My gardens are mature now so I hardly ever get a fresh slate.  Seems like all I do is move stuff around instead of doing new plantings.

If you’re inclined, post photos as go you.  Would love to see the new garden.  Good luck!  LM

PS, think drought resistant and hardy in your plant selection.  I am sure you do already, but just a reminder!  We never used to get such long hot spells here in Nova Scotia but we do now so I try to be mindful.

@Lilysmom

You've stated it well: have fun with it.  It shouldn't be too difficult, as our front yard is rather small, due to the position of our home: the yard is a weird triangle, so must take that into consideration.  And, there is a horrible utility access box with lid that is flush with the ground, which measures about 18"x 24."  Wish we could just place stones over it.

Living in the Pacific Northwest, generally speaking, spares  us from most drought situations, but not always.  We live in what I call a "green space," due to rain, light rain, mist, etc., which falls pretty regularly during certain times of the year.  Summer in our area, though, can be really hot.

Spent 2 hours on the internet yesterday evening looking for urn-type bubbling fountains such as you found on Pinterest and found just a few really ugly ones.  Next job is to reference "water feature" businesses.  Might have better luck there.

This morning have been dealing with an ant invasion, due to a disruption of one of their nests, I'm guessing.  When I opened my laptop this morning, it was literally full of teeny sugar ants.  Ewww!

The first problem we need to tackle, however, is that our beautiful topsoil is now way under ground.  Presently, we have clay on top.  And, the plumbers mounded the front yard for settling purposes.  I dare say it will take at least 2 years for their clay mound to settle.  That being said, we must get in there with soil additives, loam, etc., and get that clay broken up.

Thanks, again, for getting my brain going in the right direction.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Dinner Plate Dahlias! I love the name. Wonder if I could grow them.

@AuntG

Dinner Plate Dahlias are a wonderful centerpiece.  We lived in San Francisco and both my grandmother and father had great success growing them to size.  My grandmother would cut one and float it in a favorite large dish, then place it in the middle of her dining room table.  Always beeautiful.  It is the "City Flower" of San Franciso.  Up here in Oregon, though they grow really, really well, the dinner plate variety do not grow to size.  They always come up short to perhaps 1/2-3/4 size.  Beautiful none-the-less, but it would be nice if they were full size.

Don't know where you live, but you might simply check online to see if they will grow in your area.  They will grow in sun and sun with partial shade.

Oh, yes, slugs and snails love to eat their leaves, so one has to leave bait out; or, as an alternative break up egg shells and save coffee grounds and place that mixture in a circle around the base of the dahlia.

Good luck!