Trusted Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

Not sure why there are posts about how to dig a hole when my original post requests information on plant care...not digging a hole.  Oh well.

I think you’re missing the point of these posts and consistent advice: digging a hole to place the plant at proper depth is the first step of ongoing “plant care”, as you put it. If the planting depth is improper, the plant will not thrive or survive long enough for what you think of as ongoing care to be relevant. 

No one is ignoring your plea to abandon hole digging emphasis, as much as trying to point out the hole is fundamental to success. If you don’t think so, you’ll need a lot more help with plant care as your own plants will do poorly from being planted carelessly deep or too shallow or rootbound. Be less resistant to basics. 

Valued Contributor

One more try.  Not saying the hole  depth and size is not important but every plant presentation has them digging a hole while ignoring how much sun, how much water, weekly care, etc.  And to look at the online description it states to check the plant guide which is not available online for viewers to see.  Anyway, I have a lot of holes to dig so bye bye!

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW TO DIG A HOLE!

[ Edited ]

@Gabidog wrote:

Q garden shows are nearly done for this year but next year I hope there is less emphasis on how to dig a hole in a pot of loose soil and more information about plant care and location where to dig that hole.  I often am interested in a plant and have to wait until the end of the presentationn to hear if it requires sun or shade.  And the online description is also lacking much needed information.

@Gabidog 

You do not have to complain much longer.   C.F and R’s will soon be gone, and no longer be an iritant to you.

BTW, you do know the description and planting direction are online in the product detail?

What I do is follow along the presentation on my tablet.

Hope you enjoy the planting season.

I use a spade shovel to dig a hole for large plants, or Better Diggler 6 in 1 for small plants.

Best to purchase your plant material for a local nursery where master gardeners are available to answer your specific questions.

Good luck with your plantings.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would say in larger nurseries, there are people with Horticulture degrees to answer your questions. Most Master Gardeners are either giving lectures to the public or answering questions at Extension & are generally not employees of nurseries. 

Lucky people when I am at a Home Depot purchasing mulch, if I see someone who looks like they need assistance in choosing a plant, I might go over & answer questions. The people at those big box stores are generally saleshelp, not people with Horticulture degrees or gardening experience. Maybe the buyer has that degree. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Gabidog 

I get what you are saying.  It would be great if the vendors from Robertas' and Cottage Farms would touch on some of the specifics of the plants' requirements.  I have noticed the lack of basic information. ie. sun, soil, and water requirements, etc.  Sometimes they tell us; sometimes they don't and there is not always a planting guide listed under the online description.

I don't know why this is.  It seems to me that most professional gardeners are more than eager to pass on important information.  Perhaps it is the push to sell expected by the Q; or the constant interruption by the show's host that causes distraction. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you allegheny...finally someone understands .  Often when I comment on a topic under that topic the responders just seem to want to be nasty.  If people are happy with the online descriptions of plant care and watching holes being dug in a pot of loose soil...fine.  I believe on air and online presentations should have more information than what is currently being told.  Isn't that why they are on air and online?

Honored Contributor

@Gabidog   I whole-heartedly agree with you.  The "planting demonstrations" I've seen on Q are ridiculous.  They put the plant in a pot of loose potting soil, which takes about three seconds, while telling viewers "see how easy it is!"   Well, of course it's easy!  Not to diminish the importance of proper planting, but the demonstration adds nothing to anyone's understanding.