Honored Contributor

Several weeks ago, we had down pours of rain for 3 days in a row.  My geraniums lost all their blooms and I had to pinch back.  I had no new growth so I gave them some Miracle Gro and before long I had 5 to 6 buds on each plant (I had 2 plants).  Now they are in full bloom with new buds waiting.  Do you cover your geraniums when it rains?  I know I will if we have a lot of rain again.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1, when my plants are going to get hit hard by rain, I hang them under our second level screened in deck on hooks I installed for that purpose.  Don’t leave them under a deck on the ground.  Did that once and the slugs went crazy.  Yuck!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I don't cover potted plants when there is a intense rainstorm.  I only move things when there is a forecast of extremely high wind with the rain.  I've had plants blown off tables in those conditions.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have one outside a full glass door, which I love to look at while I'm here at my computer - earlier this year, when we were having tons of rain, and before my gutters were cleaned out, it kept getting drenched and it is slowly recovering.  They actually love the cooler days of fall but they soldier on in the heat quite well.

No, I don't cover things in the rain (way too much work) but I do use Miracle-Gro for tomatoes on my geraniums.  The higher potash number is good for them.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I just love red Geraniums❤️ ..... I put them in large planters around the front of my house & never move them until the fall .... I don’t even think of them if it rains hard .... they will survive😃 

Esteemed Contributor

It has never occured to me to cover plants during summer rainfalls. They are Mother Nature's nurishment! I think about covering during hail, but don't. It's too much trouble and they survive well with a little help (of removal of tattered leaves the next morning). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I always have a very large pot of geraniums on my patio. If we have a forecast for several days of heavy rain, I pull the pot close to the side of our town home so that they're protected by the overhang on our roof. Several years ago I didn't do that during heavy rains, and my poor geraniums really struggled for awhile after that. I think they love cooler, sunny days the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 My aunt and cousin always used plastic bags to cover their outside geraniums before a rain. I didn't and would just cut off the black flower after the rain. That was also a bit of a pain. But geraniums are so often attacked by bud bore even when everything else goes well that I finally stopped planting them. I'm just busy to keep up with them.

Honored Contributor

My geraniums (9) are little soldiers....they survive anything and just keep blooming.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Several weeks ago, we had down pours of rain for 3 days in a row.  My geraniums lost all their blooms and I had to pinch back.  I had no new growth so I gave them some Miracle Gro and before long I had 5 to 6 buds on each plant (I had 2 plants).  Now they are in full bloom with new buds waiting.  Do you cover your geraniums when it rains?  I know I will if we have a lot of rain again.  Cat Happy

@Katcat1  Mine stay outside as they are all through the winter rains.