Regular Contributor

If you live within a couple of hours of Philadelphia, you owe it to yourself to make the trip to the Philadelphia Convention Center this week for the oldest flower show in the county- this year called "Flower Power".  I had the pleasure of attending on the opening day, 3/2.  Yes it is crowded and hectic, but so incredibly beautiful and at times peaceful.  Horticulturists are generally very nice people.  Had the opportunity to sit and speak with a few volunteers from the Phila Horticulturist Society and they were so nice.  It is such a lovely experience. If you can get there, go!

Honored Contributor

@graciesmom1003 wrote:

If you live within a couple of hours of Philadelphia, you owe it to yourself to make the trip to the Philadelphia Convention Center this week for the oldest flower show in the county- this year called "Flower Power".  I had the pleasure of attending on the opening day, 3/2.  Yes it is crowded and hectic, but so incredibly beautiful and at times peaceful.  Horticulturists are generally very nice people.  Had the opportunity to sit and speak with a few volunteers from the Phila Horticulturist Society and they were so nice.  It is such a lovely experience. If you can get there, go!

@graciesmom1003   I will not have the opportunity to attend this one but I have attended many throughout.  The last one I attended, of course, was in Atlanta.  Not far for me to travel (ha ha).  But, it is a garden club and master gardener's delight to attend.  I love it.

Respected Contributor

I never miss it!

The Philadelphia Flower Show started in 1829 and is the oldest and largest floral and landscape design event.

There is nothing like the sweet smell of thousands of flowers on a cold March day.

Even better is the visual feast of colors, colors and more colors!

The landscape displays are always magnificent and imaginative.

I like the miniature display windows, the flower petal artwork, the jewelry made of plants,  and the hundreds of vendors.

Truly a wonderful one-day getaway!

Honored Contributor

Re: Flower Power 2019

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen the Flower Show in five to ten years, but it gets awfully crowded.  People come by the busload; I remember standing five to six deep to see an exhibit.  The gawkers don't move much as most are taking pictures.  It can be quite a traffic jam in the exhibit hall, especially with wheelchairs, strollers, and other mobility devices.  On Friday, dogs are allowed - I can't imagine... Another common complaint was that it didn't have enough seating, but I think that's been addressed in recent years.  The show's website says the best - i.e. least crowded -  time to visit during the week is Wednesday and Thursday after 4:30 pm (the show is open til 9:00 pm those nights).  On the weekend, it's safe to say it will be consistently crowded.

The show supports a good cause but it requires a degree of patience.  Perhaps timed tickets should be implemented to better control the crowds.

Esteemed Contributor

@graciesmom1003  I am going tomorrow.  It has been a few years since I have been and I am really looking forward, not only to the flower show, but also to do some shopping at the Reading Terminal Market.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

On Saturday the market was so packed, you couldn't turn around. got ice cream, but couldn't turn around Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Oh, this sounds glorious.  Wish I lived around there so I could easily attend.  I adore flowers and am so sick of winter.  To remedy that I ordered a massive bunch of flowers from Costco.com.  Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!  Smiles.  Happy Flowers.

Honored Contributor

Pennsylvania Horticultural Society always has a nice booth set up in the times I have gone there.

Wish I could be there visiting.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I haven't seen the Flower Show in five to ten years, but it gets awfully crowded.  People come by the busload; I remember standing five to six deep to see an exhibit.  The gawkers don't move much as most are taking pictures.  It can be quite a traffic jam in the exhibit hall, especially with wheelchairs, strollers, and other mobility devices.  On Friday, dogs are allowed - I can't imagine... Another common complaint was that it didn't have enough seating, but I think that's been addressed in recent years.  The show's website says the best - i.e. least crowded -  time to visit during the week is Wednesday and Thursday after 4:30 pm (the show is open til 9:00 pm those nights).  On the weekend, it's safe to say it will be consistently crowded.

The show supports a good cause but it requires a degree of patience.  Perhaps timed tickets should be implemented to better control the crowds.

That's it in a nutshell! I've been going for many years, and each year I vow not to come back because of the crowds. Last year did me in. By the time we were halfway through, my feet were killing me. For those with good feet and a great deal of patience, go for it. I'm finished. On a side note, don't try to find respite at the Reading Terminal Market. It is just a crowded. And, you may get poked in the eye from one of those bunches of curly willows nearly everyone is carrying around! Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

Oh, this sounds glorious.  Wish I lived around there so I could easily attend.  I adore flowers and am so sick of winter.  To remedy that I ordered a massive bunch of flowers from Costco.com.  Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!  Smiles.  Happy Flowers.

I am heading to Costco tomorrow and fresh flowers is on my list!