Super Contributor

Re: Fall Hummingbird migration...

i still have a couple at my feeder here in central ms.

Trusted Contributor

Yup, they're gone! It's Sat, 9/27 and it's been a week. bummer - sad, sad.

Frequent Contributor

Here in CNY it's been a week since I have seen the hummingbirds. I have two feeders, leaving them up for awhile longer just in case. It is going to 80 this afternoon maybe one will pass by on the way south. So sad to see them leave.
Super Contributor

I have been feeding Ruby Reds for 20 years now with one feeder. My problem has always been hornets trying to invade. The problem solved when we put up hornet traps. Excellent! They have gone to south America for the winter and will be back in May. I call them my pets. Virginia.

Esteemed Contributor

My hummers left last week. Won't see them back till late June.

Valued Contributor

Hummer Report from SW GA 10/13! I have not seen a hummingbird since the first of OCT I just cleaned and refilled the feeder just in case I have some passing through the yard. My feeder is just outside my kitchen sink window.

I had the privilege of rescuing a young male hummingbird in early September! We think he got knocked down by the sprinkler and then my cat had him in his mouth!!?? I did not think he would make it to be honest, he could not fly and was barely fluttering in the wet grass.

I put him in a plastic cup and he kept blinking at me but was very still. I made up a batch of sugar water (tepid temp) and using a tiny eye dropper put some to his tiny beak and he took to it and started sipping! I did this every 30minutes and moved him to a large plastic spinach box with a branch in it to rest and recover and grow stronger. I put a towel over the top of the clear box, he did not like the box totally covered with the towel and CHIPPED at me very loudly so it was just covering across the middle and he could see out the ends. He slept/rested all night and I set my alarm to wake at 7AM and started feeding him again.

Saturday about 11AM he was actually taking little hop lofty flights in the box! I set the box out by shrubbery where other hummers were hanging out in the sunshine and watched with binoculars and was able to see him lift out of the box three times the third was the charm and he went horizontal into the shrubs! I named him *MOSES* and actually saw him at the feeder a few times during September. I hope he returns in the Spring!

I did not get any pictures of him, I was too much in emergency recovery mode of this little fellow but am happy to report he totally recovered which was quite the miracle.

CAT

Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 gacat123 said:

Hummer Report from SW GA 10/13! I have not seen a hummingbird since the first of OCT I just cleaned and refilled the feeder just in case I have some passing through the yard. My feeder is just outside my kitchen sink window.

I had the privilege of rescuing a young male hummingbird in early September! We think he got knocked down by the sprinkler and then my cat had him in his mouth!!?? I did not think he would make it to be honest, he could not fly and was barely fluttering in the wet grass.

I put him in a plastic cup and he kept blinking at me but was very still. I made up a batch of sugar water (tepid temp) and using a tiny eye dropper put some to his tiny beak and he took to it and started sipping! I did this every 30minutes and moved him to a large plastic spinach box with a branch in it to rest and recover and grow stronger. I put a towel over the top of the clear box, he did not like the box totally covered with the towel and CHIPPED at me very loudly so it was just covering across the middle and he could see out the ends. He slept/rested all night and I set my alarm to wake at 7AM and started feeding him again.

Saturday about 11AM he was actually taking little hop lofty flights in the box! I set the box out by shrubbery where other hummers were hanging out in the sunshine and watched with binoculars and was able to see him lift out of the box three times the third was the charm and he went horizontal into the shrubs! I named him *MOSES* and actually saw him at the feeder a few times during September. I hope he returns in the Spring!

I did not get any pictures of him, I was too much in emergency recovery mode of this little fellow but am happy to report he totally recovered which was quite the miracle.

CAT

That's a terrific story, thank you for sharing. I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to revive him, and give you all kinds of credit for trying.

Valued Contributor

I love all these stories about hummingbirds - these posts are a breath of fresh air !

Esteemed Contributor

I love the hummingbirds. They don't get here until late June & leave late September. This year they were here one day, I refilled their feeders & they were gone the next. We had an early freeze & guess they knew it.

Respected Contributor

Down here this time of year the Painted Buntings come to our feeders till about April. Right now we have Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks that are passing through on their way to Cuba and central America for the rest of winter. That with our year round residents of cardinals and blue jay, provide a lot of color.