Contributor

Fake Flower Representations - When will it stop?

I am disappointed to see the continued use of fake, silk, plants and flowers on QVC again this year.  They have gotten sneakier, now mixing the fake blooms in with the plants that are somewhat in bloom.  M-49134 is a perfect example today and it SOLD OUT.  There were clearly some small viola blooms that were real, but the majority of those BIG yellow/purple/bright orange blooms were FAKE and stuck into the real plants.  Why do they keep setting customers up with false expectations?  Why don't they acknowledge it more openly, if they see nothing wrong with selling us with FAKES?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fake Flower Representations - When will it stop?

[ Edited ]

Last week, during the full day of garden programming, I did see occasional on-screen statements saying some of the plants shown may be artificial due to seasonality, blah, blah.  I guess it's better than not acknowledging it all.

Respected Contributor

You can't expect them to have full-grown blooms.

Contributor

These are million-dollar growers with huge greenhouses and staffs.  Yes, I can most certainly "expect" them to grow a viola (for example) in a greenhouse and show it live on air in bloom.  A viola is very simple to grow.  I have them growing outside in pots throughout the winter in zone 7, with blooms.  Not rocket science.  In many cases, they CHOOSE to show fake flowers instead of real flowers because the real flowers are not as impressive.  Just moments ago, Roberta's showed three REAL tuberose flowers and they were slightly brown, not completely straight.  They were real.  They were available. But the three pots of flowers making up most of the display were pure white, straight, fake flower stems stuck into pots to make a big, impressive presentation.

Honored Contributor

How do you expect them to sell plants when it's the middle of February and there's insufficient sun to product big, colorful blooms naturally?  I don't blame them;  people who may be contemplating a purchase want to see how the plant will look when it blooms.  Do you expect them to showcase an all-green plant and say, "oh, by the way, it gets beautiful blooms"?  Television is a visual medium and prople want to see.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

wrote:

I am disappointed to see the continued use of fake, silk, plants and flowers on QVC again this year.  They have gotten sneakier, now mixing the fake blooms in with the plants that are somewhat in bloom.  M-49134 is a perfect example today and it SOLD OUT.  There were clearly some small viola blooms that were real, but the majority of those BIG yellow/purple/bright orange blooms were FAKE and stuck into the real plants.  Why do they keep setting customers up with false expectations?  Why don't they acknowledge it more openly, if they see nothing wrong with selling us with FAKES?

😲 OMG I thought they were real at first then I asked myself would they really have came flowers growing out of a lot no way...WOW how dishonest to not tell the public these are not real but they will really lok like this..The host here is IMO the only one that could get away with this charade she Is Dramatic With Everything She Pushes. Another you Guys Repeating Diva!

Honored Contributor

Over the years, I have heard mention or have seen words on the screen stating all flowers may not be real. I would buy from my local garden center anyway. But at least I have been aware of what they show on QVC.

Honored Contributor

Really???  This is TV sales, not a greenhouse documentary.  I can only imagine all the moving around in different warehouses, on & off screen, different sets, hot lights, blowing air conditioning, handled by who knows how many employees backstage until the setting and staging is just right.  The first petal that falls off on screen will have so many people up in arms that the “flowers are no good!”

It isn’t that it’s difficult to grow the flowers under controlled circumstances.  It’s that it’s ridiculous to even try to present real flowers and have them look exactly like they should once fully grown.  Put yourself in the seller’s shoes. 

Contributor

I'm happy that you are content seeing fake flowers that are more colorful, 3X larger, 5X more plentiful, and 100% open blooms, as these characteristics will never be reproduced in the customers' gardens.  Novice gardeners might as well just buy photographs of these plants or purchase silks at the craft store; they'll be less disappointed.

Super Contributor

They should film the show from the green houses where these flowers could be grown off-season !

The fake flowers are a huge misrepresentation !