Honored Contributor

I want to have our yard edged....both sides of the driveway, around the landscape beds in the front and in the back yard along the walkway as well as a very slightly winding path way that has bricks along the edge.

I was looking for a tool to do it manually, which I prefer to do myself, but I cannot find the tool that I need, and possibly it does not exist.

The next option is to have a lawn company come in and do it for me.

The question is....will I have to have this done more than 1 time per season?

The edging tools that I found do not have a 'guide' for the width of the edge I want to clean up I would have to guess to keep my line even, the idea is to be as even as possible.  Also I have brick in the back yard and the depth of the tools is also to deep and if I go to deep, I may end up messing with the bricks that are in place.

thanks for any advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Edging the yard question

Check the SunJoe website, OVC or HSN for the SunJoe products. They have an edger that looks easy to use. Edging cna be done with some weeders but it depends how they are constructed. Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a hand tool I've seen.  It's just a long handle with a flat blade of the bottom.  It would be very tedious and exhausting to do more than a small space I should think. 

Why not an electric or gas edger?

Screenshot_20230512_140033_Amazon Shopping.jpg0

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Yes I have seen those tools but there is no guide to keep the edge consistent.

This is the one I was looking to purchase, but also no guide.Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 5.56.43 PM.png

Honored Contributor

From your description may not fit the following edger.  I tried to it manually.  No thanks, anymore.  

BLACK+DECKER

7.5 in. 12 Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Lawn Edger & Trencher

image-1

image-3

image-5

It uses a blade, not a trimmer string.   

At first dirt will be very compacted and a bit difficult to remove.  Push trimmer back and forth to loosen the dirt.  Once it is removed, this is very easy to use.  

Only downfall is the edge is very thin because the blade is thin, it is on mine.  I learned to move the blade out from the space the blade made against the sidewalk previously about 1/2 inch, but it requires holding it very steady to get it perfectly straight.  It took some practice, but I got it.  

You might have to move the blade out several times to get the width you want.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Maybe it doesn't need to be that precise to need a guide, you just "eyeball" it.

In Texas, we had to edge everytime we mowed because we has St. Augustin grass that put out runners.  We used an electric and I don't remember any sort or guide.  You just used the cement or bricks or whatever as the guide.  You edged right against them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee   Yes, that is what I am looking for and also do not want such a thin edge.  Our garage is SMALL, another tool of  much size is an issue to store.

How many times a season do you use the tool?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I understand what you are saying, I wanted a bit thicker and deeper edge...might have to rethink the issue.

My husband trims every time he mows but if the edge was wider and a bit deeper, he would not throw grass EVERYWHERE that I have to get out of the beds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  We just use a manual edger. If you want a straight line using a manual edger, use a can of spray paint or whatever those people use on the soccer fields. We use white spray paint. 

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

From your description may not fit the following edger.  I tried to it manually.  No thanks, anymore.  

BLACK+DECKER

7.5 in. 12 Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Lawn Edger & Trencher

image-1

image-3

image-5

It uses a blade, not a trimmer string.   

At first dirt will be very compacted and a bit difficult to remove.  Push trimmer back and forth to loosen the dirt.  Once it is removed, this is very easy to use.  

Only downfall is the edge is very thin because the blade is thin, it is on mine.  I learned to move the blade out from the space the blade made against the sidewalk previously about 1/2 inch, but it requires holding it very steady to get it perfectly straight.  It took some practice, but I got it.  

You might have to move the blade out several times to get the width you want.  

I had one of those.  Turned out to be useless and I gave it away.  The blade is not deep and it won't cut through hard soil.  I have clay soil so it didn't work.