Esteemed Contributor

Re: Early Fall in the Garden

@PINKdogWOOD , you and I think alike!  I bought a leaf mulcher so that helps me clean out the beds but it is still a lot of work.  Amd yes, I swear every leaf in the neighbourhood lands here too🙄.  Small price to pay though for the beautiful mature trees...or at least that is what I tell myself!!!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom 

I love obelisks!  I have two that allow my English Ivy to creep up, but the deer have gotten very aggressive at eating the ivy all year.  So, the wire is often exposed.  

They didn't bother it at first, but I think more arrive every year and there is competition for grazing.  That is one big reason I don't have plants or a garden...the deer are merciless.

But, I enjoy seeing beautiful plants and gardens.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Oh I am still on the east coast.  (RI)   I may not have worded my post right, the photo just touched my heart Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman , the most deer I have ever seen was on a vacation to Hilton Head.  We spent a few weeks in a house on a golf course and there were herds of them.  I couldn't believe it.  They were all over the place.  In early morning dark on the day we left I was sure we would hit one.

We don't have that many here and the Lab does border duty on the property.  I wonder if there is a tick problem with so many around?

it would certainly discourage me from gardening..  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal @then you enjoy four seasons like me!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom 

Yes, regular ticks and deer ticks are a constant worry.  No dog to chase them off.

I try to avoid going where they have been and no longer hike through our wooded area.

I'm highly allergic to tick bites and even just a small nibble swells and itches for weeks.

Hate them!

Honored Contributor

You are so right about loving our very mature gardens. Our trees are enormous in height, most put in by band when he was still in high school, 30-40 yrs old now. Our front & back yards are the size of a quarter compared to your land - I have no business moaning about yard work!!!!!!  LOL  Him being the landscaper/hort guy you can imagine how much is here.

Respected Contributor

What a beautiful garden you have, Lilysmom! Love your hydrangea! My red ones will come next year, but I still have some blooms on my Blushing bride.08AA24B5-7926-48B1-B9BD-6FF567A0BEAB.jpeg