Honored Contributor

Anybody have one of these?  How in the world do you empty it without the still-living bugs flying out?

Respected Contributor

I believe they are killed in the trap. I’m concerned about the trap killing beneficial insects—Not sure about that.

Contributor

Hi,  I have had 2 Dynatraps on my property and I love them.  I learned the hard way that when you go to empty them ,  live bugs escape.  Here is what I do,  I turn them off and I spray bug spray into the collection area and wait a little while for the bugs to die.  It works and sometimes there are a few that you might have to step on.  I do this because I don't like to have them turned off for any length of time.  I am a mosquito magnet an this has helped so much.  I think they are very effective.  good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

They suggest you empty the trap in the garage or outside over a trash can - - b/c there may be a couple of bugs still living.  They will just fly away - - to live another day!

Esteemed Contributor

Had this trap and never saw a beneficial bug - butterfly - bee - hornet  in my trap = None   They don't 'fit' through the gate.  (too large)

Esteemed Contributor

I actually own two.  In the front of the house across the street is a pond that attracts bugs like a bee to honey, and then in the back of the house is a lake, when we first moved in you had to fight your way through the hordes of mosquitoes just to walk to the mailbox, forget spending time outside.  I bought the smaller one for the front yard, worked like a charm but the backyard was still terrible, so I bought another small one, we now enjoy our time outdoors thanks to Dyna Trap.  I have never seen the beneficial insects like bees, it mostly moths and mosquitoes!

Contributor

I am concern that it kills moths. Outside moths are not consider pests.

Regular Contributor

I have three of them, two large and one small.  I love them and they work great.  I do the same thing as the one poster suggested.  I turn off the unit, spray bug killer into it, wait a few minutes and then empty it into a big plastic bag.  Clean out the debris and left over bugs and put it back together and turn it back on.  I empy mine about once a month in summer.

In fall I take the trap apart and wipe everything with a damp rag and wash the parts that are removeable, making sure I clean the fan blades well.  I will not put it away dirty and I think by cleaning it properly I am extending the life of the trap.  It takes time to do this but I am a fussy person so I can't put it away dirty.  After I clean it, let it dry and put it back together I put it back in its original box for winter storage in the basement.

I also have not seen a bee or butterfly in the trap.  It has elminiated a lot of the mosquitos and we live in a wooded area, some June bugs (wish more would be trapped) and a lot of other pesky insects.  I would be happy if more flies were trapped but they are not.

All in all I am happy with the product and would buy a replacement if mine quit working.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I got one last year.  I find it a little difficult to remove the trap which also ensures the still living bugs get to escape.  I'm also probaby not diligent enough and should empty it more often.  I did clean it out good and put it in the garage for the winter.

As far as what mine collects, I found mostly moths and little bees, not honeybees, but either ground bees or sweat bees.  I used to do a lot of hand-weeding in my yard, and these bees always showed up, I think because the hand-weeding tickles the worms and makes them come to the surface. I gues those bees are carnivores.  I was always being stalked by a robin when I hand-weeded too.

Valued Contributor

I have two Dyna Traps and I believe them to be useless.  I just want to eliminate or reduce mosquitoes and flies,  but they catch neither. I catch some smaller moths, lots of click beetles, and I forget what else, but not my intended target.  I am 100% certain I am using these traps correctly. I had them out 24 hrs. a day all last summer/fall.  

While I am scrupulous about eliminating mosquito breeding spots, my nearby neighbors are not (like drip pans under potted plants).

Since the traps weren’t working outside in my tiny yard, I brought one inside to see if it would catch the flies that patiently wait by my doors to fly in the second doors are opened. Would run it overnight when the lights were out. I caught one fly, but generally it didn’t catch the flies.