Valued Contributor

Do you ever wonder.....(long)

if the next person/people that will own your property will take the same care to maintain it as well as you do? This is probably a question for the seniors like me (I'm mid 60s) to think about. Today,as I look at how pretty my flower beds, bushes and trees are I wonder if all the hard work that I've put into our property (we have 3 acres) throughout the 45 years we've lived here will be for nothing once we no longer live here. I would say that within the next 5 to 10 years, because of health problems, my DH and I will be forced to move into a home with ALOT less yard to maintain. I can't imagine that there are too many folks that share my same passion for gardening nor would appreciate all the hard work that we have put into this place. My DH planted all the trees, oaks, maples, Bradford pears and others that are on our property 40 + years ago. I have thoughout the years added the many hydrangeas, crape myrtles, mums (some are 10+ years old and keep spreading) lilacs, azaleas, garden phlox, hostas, coneflowers, black-eyed susans, and daffodils, to name my favorites.I have petunias in my crocks and whiskey barrel and million bells in hanging baskets across my front porch that are as big around as beach balls, thanks Miracle Grow. One neighbor lady told me she didn't garden because she doesn't like to get her hands dirty..Huh? I told her about gardening gloves, LOL. Another neighbor lady doesn't have even a potted flower on her porch. These are retired folks like my DH and I and are in good health and not poor. I just don't get them. Anyway. sorry to ramble, I guess I am feeling a little down today despite the beautiful fall day. Will try not to think about our property becoming a unkept mess of weeds when we're gone. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder.....(long)

Gee, is this my sister?  Ha!  My sister has bought and sold many homes in her lifetime.  She would always drive by the old homes and complain about how people were taking care of it.  I would always say, "It's not yours anymore!"  It really bothered her, and I just couldn't understand it.  I do hope someone takes care of my home once I'm dead and gone, going to have my and my dogs' ashes spread in the backyard so I'll always be a part of it I guess.  I don't think you can worry about things like that, just take care of it and enjoy it while you have it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@country gal, the question that goes through my mind is how long will I do all the work that I do on our property.  I will have to reduce the number of gardens I think.  I plan to (and have already started) to make a shift from perennials and shrubs to more shrubs.  They are easier to look after.  I share with a lot of neighbor's a and friends which I enjoy.  I am removing perennials as my shrubs come to full size.  Our property is almost two acres.

DH thinks we will be here until the end.  We shall see.  If we decide to leave here, we have property that can build on again.  I am very attached to my home.  It was designed for us.  I have really only lived in three homes...the one I grew up in, the one we lived in for 26 years and this one which we have been in for ten years.

What someone else does after me I don't think about much.

Do what you do as long as you enjoy it.  If it becomes too much of a chore, you can make changes to keep your life enjoyable.  This is something I think about from time to time.  I am 60.  Thanks for putting the words to paper.  LM

Trusted Contributor

LOL @country gal - do you ever consider that they might take BETTER care of it than you? :-) :-)

A house recently sold in my neighborhood and the prior owners had put a lot of effort into the yard areas. The front yard is beautiful but boy - the upkeep is major.

Well, the new owners are taking even better care of it! They added some decorative figurines and replaced the mulch. Everything is trimmed and blooming.

I have a rental property and my tenant loves to garden (unlike me and my hubby). Her yard work and even interior decoration put us to shame!

So perhaps twist your thinking to the positive side because you really just never know.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a house that had been tended well for 25+ years, in a nice old neighborhood that is resistant to "newcomers".  I think I've done a fine job of keeping it but I will surely write the last will and testament to have it remain after I leave.  Some places are just special.  It's only 1/2 acre but I cherish and value it (along with my husband and dogs).  You will have to shovel me out of here.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I owned a home with a beautiful front bay window.  I had a gorgeous lace valance custom made and installed.  When we moved a few years later, it broke my heart to leave that window treatment.  A neighbor that kept in touch with me for several years would always mention that the people who bought our home kept that lace valance on the window.  I was happy that they loved it also.

I don't enjoy gardening, so the yard didn't concern me.

Honored Contributor

My sister once owned this beautiful old house in another state.  It was large and old fashioned and gorgeous.  We all loved it and couldn't wait until we could come and vist and we each had our own bedroom and bath!  The yard was large and landscaped with many fruit and nut trees and there were two large porches.  One was a wrap-around.  The inside featured all the old style wood and woodwork and fireplaces in many rooms.  It was my dream house.  Well, any how, for reasons I won't go into, she had to sell it and move.  A few years later she and her husband drove back to see what the new owners had done and she was so upset!  

They totally gutted the place and revamped it and made it modern!!!  She said -- I just sat and cried!  She wished she had never gone back.  However, she said, she will just try and remember it for how it looked when she owned it and she has many pictures.  I am glad I never saw it that way.

I am not worried about my home.  I am blessed to have it, but it is not my dream home.  I just hope whoever gets it after me, loves it and enjoys it and is very happy there!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

In my gardens, I'm constantly fighting pests and disease, weeding, pruning, and watering.  I imagine they'd go downhill pretty quickly if they weren't tended with the same passion.  I view gardening as a hobby and, as a bonus, it enhances my property value.  The next owner will do with it as he/she pleases and that's okay with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb, funny you should mention the lace valance.  I made a point of keeping the valances in my home, in respect for the people who have lived on this street 50 years and who have grown accustomed to seeing them.

Plus, they are pretty, and would be pretty expensive to re-do.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Over 40 years ago when we bought our home, the Swiss widow asked me one question: how am I about house cleaning.  When I told her that my mother taught us very well, she relaxed and felt comfortable with us.  We bought the house and as DH says: from an aerial view it went from a tiny rancher to what now looks like a  " compound " because we:

converted former front porch to a huge dining room with new porch and front side deck; converted open air back porch to a great room; added a master suite; took down a dilapidated garden shed; added a detached two-car garage; put in two brick patios ourselves; took down dying fruit trees and a thorny hedge that surrounded the property with the help of the neighbors; planted evergreen and blue spruces; etc.  All the building add-ons are cathedral ceilings so it doesn't feel like a "rancher".

Although the house looks different from the original footprint, I think she would be pleased that we have taken great care with her place, inside and outside.  And yes, she'd be happy to see it is

very clean, LOL.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill