Valued Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder.....(long)

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Gee, is this my sister?  Ha!  My sister has bought and sold many homes in her lifetime.  She would always drive by the old homes and complain about how people were taking care of it.  I would always say, "It's not yours anymore!"  It really bothered her, and I just couldn't understand it.  I do hope someone takes care of my home once I'm dead and gone, going to have my and my dogs' ashes spread in the backyard so I'll always be a part of it I guess.  I don't think you can worry about things like that, just take care of it and enjoy it while you have it. 

I think that if we had owned "many homes" this wouldn't bother me, but I've only lived with my parents till DH and I married in 1968 and then in a small apartment while our home was being built. We moved here in 1969..our forever home. 

Thanks for the good advice. 

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@country gal, the question that goes through my mind is how long will I do all the work that I do on our property.  I will have to reduce the number of gardens I think.  I plan to (and have already started) to make a shift from perennials and shrubs to more shrubs.  They are easier to look after.  I share with a lot of neighbor's a and friends which I enjoy.  I am removing perennials as my shrubs come to full size.  Our property is almost two acres.

DH thinks we will be here until the end.  We shall see.  If we decide to leave here, we have property that can build on again.  I am very attached to my home.  It was designed for us.  I have really only lived in three homes...the one I grew up in, the one we lived in for 26 years and this one which we have been in for ten years.

What someone else does after me I don't think about much.

Do what you do as long as you enjoy it.  If it becomes too much of a chore, you can make changes to keep your life enjoyable.  This is something I think about from time to time.  I am 60.  Thanks for putting the words to paper.  LM

LM--I've seen the pictures of your BEAUTIFUL gardens and they are alot more elaborate than mine. You have more hardscape than we do. I have a couple of birdbaths, a gazing ball, some decorative rock mounds/small boulders and a section of split rail fence. I know you love and enjoy yours as I do mine. 

It did help to " get it off my chest" and put it down in writing. Now, I can move on and enjoy what I've been blessed with. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@country gal, I know how you feel I think.  Putting it in writing is an acknowledgment of what's on your mind.  It's good to get it out there.  I do know that I would never garden to the extent that I do if a had warm weather 12 months of the year.  When November comes, I am ready to put the tools away!

I work in the garden most days of the week.  It will be hard to choose which areas to let go but I have a few ideas so that is good lol.  I broke my foot this year in April.  Now that was interesting because if I don't do the maintenance, it usually doesn't get done.  It gave me food for thought and made me inventive  too.

Enjoy your space.  I love it here.  We have wonderful neighbors.  I am truly blessed and I weed alot😧😀!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Hi again @country gal.

In contrast to my first reply to your post I just remembered something that is totally opposite of what I said. :-)

Back in Spring, hubby and I went back to my childhood home in another city. I have visited it several times over the years and it too was looking pretty good.

Alas, I don't know what's going on their now but it looks horrendous! 

All the grass, trees, and shrubs are so overgrown that you can barely see the house. And what can be seen is in disrepair. Since houses on that street are well-kept and are selling these days for a decent chunk of change, I just can't imagine what is going on. I don't think the ownership has changed. Perhaps someone is ill.

But I'll still stick with my "postive thoughts on the next buyer" that I proposed in my first reply. You just never know!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates, I hate that ... Seeing something you loved look so unloved.  This is the story of my family home.  Beautiful 200 year old home, lovely landscaped property.  When my father passed away, the estate sold the house.  We were all gone pursuing our careers.  I was so afraid it would be chopped into apartments as the house was very large.  Before that could happen, I hired a local artist and he did a painting of the house.  It never did get changed into apartments but it changed hands twice.

Fast forward fifteen years, my brother moved his law practice home, bought the house and restored it to original specifications.  My brother is gone now but his wife is there.  It is so lovely to see how it is kept.

I still have the painting of my family home and have had one done of my other two homes.  Happily, I loved the three homes where I have lived.  I also love that even if someone else changes them, I have them as they were during my years in them.  

There's an idea for you.  If you have a photo of your home,perhaps you should have a painting done.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom  Wonderful thoughts and sentiments!

The various buyers of my childhood home have changed it a lot. I can see that the back bedroom was stretched out (probably a nice master suite now), living room stretched out and porch removed, etc.

I sometimes get tempted to knock on the door when I'm in the area an ask to see inside. I've actually had dreams about doing this.

It's way to late for me now but having a painting made is a great idea. And I too have lived in several other houses since then and enjoyed them all.