Honored Contributor

Is it to early to cut back my spirea?  

I want to clean up/re do my mailbox area.  I have two spirea that are done blooming, is it to early to cut them down to a better size?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Yes, you can prune them now if you like. Spirea bloom on the current season's wood, so you won't be trimming buds off for next year. Spireas form buds in the springtime for summer bloom. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom   Thank you

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , that is good to know.  Mine could use a haircut too!  LM

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom I am making notes on my calendar and will transfer garden info to new calendar next year, so I don't keep asking!!  

My hydrangena only had one bloom this year, so sad, as it's a beautiful pink.  I purposely did not trim it last year and it's getting a bit big for the space.  I won't trim again this year and hope for more blooms in 2022.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting back

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  Sometimes if you have a late winter freeze, the buds might get frozen so you either get no flowers or a few. Only solution for that is wait till next year.

I would prune your hydrangea right now to shape it because in another month, it will start to set the buds for next year. It sounds like the hydrangea you have blooms on last season's growth or old wood. 

We tell homeowners that if they wait till September to prune, in our hardiness zone 7, you will lose buds for next year. 

Remember you can always prune at any time to the ground any dead or non leafed out stems on your hydrangea.

Shaping to keep a plant in bounds is best to do on a hydrangea, right after it flowers. Don't wait till the petals turn brownish. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom   Thanks for the advice...I'll get the bush trimmed and cross my fingers for lots of blooms next year!

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom after my Annabelle blooms I intend to cut it back hard.  The slugs and bugs are terrible this year and really did a number on this one.  Never seen so many aphids, slugs and earwigs.  I have cleaned off my sea holly four times already and they are back again I noticed yesterday.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 or @JustJazzmom 

I am trimming back the spirea today and have a question about the tiny, spindley, thin branches....will they ever be strong like the hearty stalks, or should I keep the thin branches trimmed back closer to the root?

I was never sure how to trim the those parts of a plant.

thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting back

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Lilysmom1 or @JustJazzmom 

I am trimming back the spirea today and have a question about the tiny, spindley, thin branches....will they ever be strong like the hearty stalks, or should I keep the thin branches trimmed back closer to the root?

I was never sure how to trim the those parts of a plant.

thanks.

http://ccenassau.org/resources/pruning-trees-shrubs-and-vines

Look at the section on shrubs. Never remove more than a third of the branches when pruning. Sone shrubs you want younger canes to do the flowering & remove the older non flowering ones -- like lilacs & hydrangeas.

Spirea, you may want to follow the no more than a third removed. No shearing if possible! 

Another link on when to prune what shrub:

http://ccenassau.org/resources/pruning-shrub