Occasional Contributor

We farm about 2 acres of our property with crops - both of us come from a farm back ground and have learned tons of tricks of the trade over the years. We both have jobs, mine is a teaching position, so I use my summers to tend the chickens & crops. I say this because I weed/water/tend to the large gardens alone - and in July, August & Sept this is pretty full-time, 6-7 hours a day minimum. Planting & harvest season I juggle school & gardening, but the upkeep is done when I have the time in the summer, so it mostly works out ok.

My question is this: I have an unusual challenge - we abut a 600 acre bird conservatory area, and have raptors and crows/ravens fly by constantly. The raptors check out the chickens but they seem safe - however the crows and ravens are bold in respect to the garden. Last year I had to re-plant melon and squash after they ate about 1/2 what I planted! They bother the garden the most when we are not home and since I plant those tender crops in late May, I'm still gone during the day!

I can't use the ball-eye things or fake owls as the chickens can't have them around - their run faces the big garden and they would freak out. We have a scarecrow, and last year I put string across the garden, with metallic bows hand-made on the string and that combo seemed to keep them out. Is there something someone knows to keep crows out of the garden when you plant tender crops? They get some of our berries, too - but I'm at the farm outside when the berries are riping in August, and they won't bother the crops if I'm around.

Sorry so wordy, but I really need help and I felt an explanation of my exact circumstances would be the best way to have answers. I have about a month & a week to plant to come up with SOMETHING to keep those creatures out of my tender crops!

BTW: Our gardens are fenced in due to deer, etc. I rarely post here but read often and there are some real 'experts' here!

THANKS!