Honored Contributor

Showing off my Clivia blooming.

2021 Clivia Bloom.jpg

Honored Contributor

Beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Wow, you got a yellow one!  Gorgeous.   Mine are all orange, in a planter outside, 10-12 of them, blooming now, so pretty. Do you keep it as a houseplant?  Now I want a yellow one. Thanks for sharing. 

Respected Contributor

That is really pretty.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue this was one of two clivias I got, I think it was from Cottage Farms, years ago.  One was orange and the other yellow.  I think I gave too much care to the orange one and it died.  Neither one had bloomed by then so I figured it was the yellow one that died since it was the rare one.  Then I learned not to water it so much and that they like cool temps in winter to set buds. I put it in the unheated garage in October and only water about once a month, and so far since I have been doing that it has bloomed for me even after re-potting it.  I had heard they don't like having their roots disturbed and they might not bloom for several years after re-potting.  Instead, mine bloomed and then put out a pup.  It does stay in the house the rest of the time.  I could probably put it outside since I put all my other tropicals out during the summer.  My back yard is mostly shade.  

Sadly, the last few purchases from both CF & Robertas have been complete disappointments.  I used to be fairly confident with CF since their facility is in my state so not so far tho ship and I had good luck with them with some Chinese Lilacs I purchased, also years ago, but not anymore.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen a flower like this!

Respected Contributor

Re: Cliva in Bloom

[ Edited ]

I had no idea they could do well in the house.  Ours are in full shade, not a moment of direct sun.  We don't take very good care of them, but they do ok in spite of us.  Love those orange blooms.  I'll try to post a pic.

I saw a yellow one at my local up-scaleish nursery but didn't even glance at the price knowing it was probably more than I was willing to pay.  Next time I'm there I'll take a look.

I got some hummingbird mints from CF this week.  Oh my, they were soggy wet.  I planted them and have fingers crossed.  Directions said to water after planting.  I did, against my better judgment.

clivia.jpg