Regular Contributor

Well, as the summer comes to a close shortly, I wanted to reach out to anyone who bought the TSV on Feb 12th or 13th, 2019. It was the Cottage Farms 2 Piece Tri Color Buzz Butterfly Bushes, M59349. It no longer exists on the QVC site so no description is available currently. 

I planted mine in large pots when they arrived and they pretty much took off. For the first month or so, it was just greenery with no blooms. Slowly, the blooms started to appear, but they were very small. If you look at the photos that were online at that time, the blooms were supposed to be 3 colors and large, although they sold it as a bush that could easily be grown in pots without gettting enormous. 

At this point in the summer, the greenery on these bushes is huge and very "leggy". The blooms are still very small and honestly, they just look like weeds at this point. I finally went out today and cut them both way back. I left the roots in the pots, hoping that I will have better luck next summer as they are perennials.

If any of you purchased these, what has been your experience throughout the summer of 2019? Also, do you have any advice for next summer? I did fertilize them a couple of times, but the results overall were very disappointing in my opinion. 

Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

@Deb213   In another thread in Garden called "Enjoying the Butterflies", @silkyk posted a picture of hers.  I'm not sure when she bought it, but it's beautiful.  She said it took it a while to grow, but when it did it really took off.  Hers is gorgeous.  It's just a few threads down from this one if you want to read it and see her picture.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I put mine in the ground.. Never got any flowers.. just a green plant.

Respected Contributor

I have numerous Abelia plants around my home and see Butterflies all the time!

Occasional Contributor

Butterfly bushes need sun and hot temperatures. I did not buy mine from QVC, but once the temperatures warm up, mine grow like crazy. They do get full sun. I cut them way back late winter and by early summer they have grown a few feet. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks @NickNack ! I'll take a look!

Regular Contributor

Thanks @NCbeach! Mine definitely had full sun and very hot temps. They grew, but didnt look that great so I was curious how others did. Hopefully cutting them back will make them better next summer!

Valued Contributor

Mine never grew  higher than 6 inches had tiny flowers and died. Local nursery for me now.

Respected Contributor

I planted one—it not only thrived, it took over. I had to remove it. Depending on the variety, they are considered an undesirable plant in portions of the country. They are invasive.

Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley  I found out the plant was invasive after I bought a few bushes.  I planted mine outside and got flowers for sure by the second year and every year thereafter.  The woods keeps encroaching on my yard and seems to have overtaken the poor bushes now so they seem dead.  I did get lots of butterflies when they were alive, which I liked.