Honored Contributor

Re: Bird question-deranged robin

We often have birds fly into our kitchen windows because they see their reflection; last week it was a dove.   He/she left a very nice dirty wing print on the glass.   I often hang wind chimes outside the two kitchen windows in an effort to scare the birds away from the glass; it works most of the time.   

We live in the boonies and are surrounded by woods and thousands of trees, but every year we have a robin who is determined to build her nest around my house; on my porch lights, my electric meter base, the top of my clothesline pole, or in the clematis vine outside my bedroom window.   She is one very stubborn bird, but I won't tolerate her building around my porch and the light fixtures, so I tear down nests as fast as she builds them.   She can build her nest in any tree or bush on my property---even the clematis vine outside my bedroom window.

Once she lays her eggs, we are dive bombed every time we are within 5 ft of her nest.   I try to give the bird her space by only using half of my clothesline, so that I'm not close to her nest, and she reciprocates by sitting on the clothesline and fussing, or crapping on my laundry.   I didn't hang any clothes out at all last year to accommodate her, but she still dive bombed us when we passed thru the backyard, regardless of how close we were to the nest.