Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@NickNack , Carolina Wren is the sweetest bird out there!  Love their little egg shape.

I would probably have a "wiggler" but my current bird baths are too far from a power source.

There's been a ton of development around me and I am sad to say, it has had an impact on the birds.  Still, I try to provide habitat and to help populations re-establish.  I hope I am making a difference because the whole thing is very depressing.  There's no replacing what has been lost.

Keep that water source out there.. They'll need it.

Edit:  the cardinals seem to be the biggest users of my bird baths.  They have survived this horrible bird disease that has taken out many - the hordes of blue jays have all but disappeared and there were many weird sightings of sick birds, ripe for predators because they were weak.

@Sweetbay magnolia   Carolina Wrens are my favorite bird.  I absolutely love to watch them.  The water wiggler I'm thinking about ordering runs on batteries.  

The bird disease has just been awful.  It makes me so sad for them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Just FYI:   Bird baths are known to draw a lot more critters than birds, and you said this is located on your deck, so I urge you to be prepared for visits from some undesirable and perhaps destructive animals, like squirrels, raccoons, opossums, bears, foxes, deer, and even snakes.   Anything that draws birds, draws snakes.   

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   By the way, the "water wiggler" is battery operated. Takes 2 D-cell batteries.  

Respected Contributor
  1. @NickNack , I have two bird baths and I rarely see any birds in them. Occasionally I see one drinking, but I've never seen them bathing in it.  We just recently added a little fountain in one of them, and still no birdies bathing.   Plenty of different birds here too, all feeding the seeds I put out.   Anyway, yes leave it out, and the water wiggler sounds like a nice addition.   I've never heard of it until now, but sure sounds nice...maybe I'll get one for the other bird bath.   Hope you see them soon, soooo nice!!
Honored Contributor

The water wiggler was designed to keep the water moving to prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in still water. I did use it but eventually the battery case got flooded with the water or the batteries stopped working due to something happening to the case. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I put my bird bath out near the bird feeders about a month ago and haven't seen a bird on it, in it, or even near it. I have seen fly overs, but that'sall.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bird Bath--No Takers

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@NickNack 

I put my bird bath out near the bird feeders about a month ago and haven't seen a bird on it, in it, or even near it. I have seen fly overs, but that'sall.

@occasionalrain   I'll bet the birds will start using your bird bath.  They finally found mine.  There were close to ten around and in it yesterday, including a bluebird pair!  I am so happy that I put it out.

I did get the Water Wiggler.  I don't know if it made a difference or not.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Thanks

One thing seems to always lead to another, buy a birdbath, then have to add on a wiggler. It's like painting the dining room and the living looks sad, so that gets painted too, but then...

Respected Contributor

You might want to purchase one of the solar power bird bath fountains. The birds love the sound and the water movement. At Amazon and only about $8-10. Works great, easy to set up and really draws them in.

Solar Water Fountains Outdoor, Solar Powered Fountain Pump for Bird Bath,  Solar Pond Fountain Pump for Garden Decor,Birdbath Pond Pool . - Walmart.com

Trusted Contributor

I bought a beautiful solid copper birdbath last year  ...for almost a year, not a single bird went near it. I filled up a large terracotta plant saucer after the pot for it broke, and put it on the floor of the patio. Birds and squirrels drink out of it so much I have to refill it at least once a day, especially if a blue jay decides to take a bath in it..he completely empties it. $300 birdbath? Or $1.59 saucer?  Amazing. Maybe I will put a pot of flowers in the birdbath.