Respected Contributor

I'm getting small birds, but I can't tell what they are.  I googled them, but im not sure what they are.  Size is like a small finch...they have brownish upper parts with white stiping on the wings, belly is light gray, and tails are somewhat short, pointed downward.   I thought they looked like the small yellow warblers I have, but these don't have yellow bellies.  I'm not sure if they are house finches either, but i see pics of those with slight striping on their bellies....the ones here are just plain gray on bottom,  striped brownish upper and wings.  @Nicknack..??  or anybody know.?  I'm trying to get a pic..but may be difficult for you to see close up.

Respected Contributor

Re: FINCH, WREN, or SPARROW??

20211221_144325.jpg

Respected Contributor

This is the best I can I get...its on the narrow tube feeder, lower perch...see if you can blow it up.  

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

This is the best I can I get...its on the narrow tube feeder, lower perch...see if you can blow it up.  

Is it a chicken?  Woman Very Happy Sorry I couldn't resist.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

The only thing I can make out is the blue chicken.  Oh I can see another chicken to the right side of the blue one.

Anyway, it's probably a finch.  I get a lot of those at my feeder this time of year.

Honored Contributor

I've been getting both finches and sparrows...lots of sparrows!...on my feeders of late.  I've never seen a wren at my nyjer seed feeder.  I'm in the mid-Atlantic area.

Respected Contributor

Lol, look on hanging tube feeder, about midway up. If you can stretch the pic, it may help.  I just have regular bird seeds in it, i mix with a small amount of thistle, and whatever these birds are, they're liking it.   I have lots of yellow warblers, so I thought these birds might be related. 

Respected Contributor

@KatieB ...can you describe the colors/markings on the finch your getting?   I do think mine are finch too...just not too sure  yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  I tried to blow it up, but it got really fuzzy. The coloring sort of looks like a tufted titmouse. Does it have a crest? What state are you in?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

Adult male finch (we have the red finches):

adult male finch.jpg

Immature female finch:

female finch immature.jpg

Tufted Titmouse:

Adult Tufted Titmouse.jpg