http://ccenassau.org/resources/pruning-shrub

http://ccenassau.org/resources/-hydrangea-types-and-how-to-prune

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beautiful Fall Colours in the Garden

@JustJazzmom, thanks so much!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful gardens, love all the garden decor !!!!

Trusted Contributor

I live in Western NY east of Buffalo and our temps went from a very humid 86 degrees to totally missing fall and diving into a windy, cold and daily drizzle of rain. It's been hard to clean up the gardens and our koi pond with all this crappy weather, a real bummer !!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00, the weather has really turned cold here in Nova Scotia.  At 0 Celsius this morning.  I know what you mean about getting the cleanup in before it turns.  Hate when it turns too cold fast.  We have had snow flurries.  I am thinking about putting my winter tires on early this year as I do early morning driving to swim at the pool.  LM

Honored Contributor

I took advantage of the moderate 60’s temps & cut back the remaining roses in my rose garden. With the rains we had in September they took off. Some were 6’ high! Those that were that tall were in the ground for past 2 years. Two years ago they were the height of a candlestick. I cut back 2 more hostas & set up the plastic saucer that holds an electric de-icer. We are expecting a nor’easter coming this Saturday. 

I wanted to get the big stuff out of the way before the temps drop again.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also trimmed back the hostas and peonies today. (Mulched the mini hostas for winter protection.) They began turning a couple of days ago, but I didn't have the heart to cut them back! It seems so final and means admitting cold weather is really on the way.

Noticed the hydrangeas even looked sad about impending winter looming ahead!  I love spring/summer and miss those months so much. Still have a few potted plants on the patios. 

Tomorrow the lawn service will mow and apply the final application of fertilizer. We're supposed to have rain tomorrow night; they usually time it with Mother Nature in mind. Each year I overseed the entire yard by throwing grass seed randomly around. It is coming up nicely; a bright green. Ready to enjoy in 2019.

Red dogwoods, mums, burning bushes and trees are ablaze with color. Such a bold spectrum of reds, yellows, oranges, golds, browns and greens capping the end of the growing season. Leaves are beginning to fall.    

ETA: Your posts and pictures are so enjoyable! Thanks for sharing. Especially found interesting the bonsai project. Keep us up-to-date, please. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.