Respected Contributor

BLUEBIRD BABIES HATCHED 😃

I checked the box because I haven't seen the parents going in or out, and there are babies, and I think another egg.  The babies are barely moving, eyes and mouths closed.  Its possible they just hatched, I really don't know if this is the norm.   I have been putting mealworms out, and they are all gone by afternoon.   I'm not sure who's taking them either, as I have alot of birds around.  I dont want to open the box, but I'm not sure if I should check on the babies if I don't see the parents.   I'll try to keep an eye out when I can from my porch or inside my house. 

Honored Contributor

Re: BLUEBIRD BABIES HATCHED 😃

If the mealworms are being taken the parents are there.  I would not check on the box.  The parents are probably nearby.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

YAY! Babies finally, congrats!

DH made our bluebird boxes and they have one side that lifts up to be able to check on our families.

We just make sure Mom is not in there by lightly tapping on the side of the box. We have always checked on our families and it doesn't bother them at all.

We've even touched their furry little heads and none were abandoned by their parents.

One overeager eater fell out while trying to get the first handout from Mom and we had to pick him up to put him back in the box.

They all later successfully fledged.

That's an old wives tale according to the most well respected bird sites/experts.

We have another 5 babies now!

BTW, when real young they do just sit there with their eyes closed until Mom comes at feeding time, don't worry!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Ok thanks everyone...I feel better. I'm not going to go anywhere near it.
Honored Contributor

In our tiny cherry tree, no bigger than 4' high at the moment, a robin built a nest & inside there were 2 babies inside. I took a photo while I could hear the parents chirping at me. I took some blueberries & put some below the tree for the parents. 

Yesterday I went to go food shopping & one had fledged the nest & was sitting in the driveway! Since I had my gloves, I picked it up & put it in the grass. When I got back I saw it had remained there. I had bought blueberries & found the smallest one. I crushed it between my fingers & popped it into its mouth. 

Several hours later as dusk approached, it was still in the grass. I again took 2 small blueberries & crushed them. Then I moved the bird to be below the tree where it was hidden by the remains of my hyacinths. 

This AM, I see the nest is empty & those 2 babies are no where to be found. Parents are nearby because I hear them. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom 

Thanks to your efforts of feeding and moving it to a safe place for the parents to find, you probably saved that baby's life, many (((HUGS))) to you!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  Wonderful!  

We have a birdhouse in our backyard (we get wrens but would love to see bluebirds!).  Anyway every spring they make a nest and are going in and out of the house a lot.  I wish I had one of those mini cameras to see what was going on inside! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Pretty sure I just a bird fly out of the box..they are very quick, and I just looked out my window.   I came home about hour or so ago, and the mealworms were still there.  I just now checked feeder, and they're gone...so I guess the momma took them...hope so!  I also propped a few mealworms on my fence post, and they're gone too 🙂.

I'm going to drill a shallow plastic cup on a post just for mealworms.   I saw a site online where a man did this on several posts...I thought it's a great idea.

Respected Contributor

20200608_141149.jpg

Honored Contributor

Mealworms have no nutritional value for the babies even though the birds like to eat them.

I had bluebirds this year in my bird house.  It's not a bluebird box.  I actually put it there hoping the wrens would nest there instead of always trying to build a nest in the garage.  I sat on my deck one day and watched them.  Usually, the male would come in and park nearby.  A few minutes later the female would show up and work her way close to the nest and then go inside while the male would stand guard.  Sometimes the male would go to the box first but he did't go inside.  I think he was just feeding them from outside.  Then the female would go inside.  Once, a blue jay got too close to the box and both birds dive bombed it until it left.  

I haven't actually checked the box, but it appears they have all left.  I don't know where they go when the babies fledge.  I haven't seen a bluebird in awhile, so when they left it appears they left the area.  Even my neighbor commented on it.  

This was my first year having bluebirds hang around at all.  In previous years, I might occasionally see them at the feeders, but they never hung around long.