Esteemed Contributor

dead cicadas all around base of maple tree today

I'm suburban Chicago. Today at the base of my backyard maple there are probably hundreds of dead cicadas. 

I've lived in this house almost 40 years and never seen this.

(Maybe 15 years ago there were cicadas and the red tail hawks were grabbing them in the sky)

ICK!   I got the creepy chills and ran for the house ICK!

Super Contributor

Re: dead cicadas all around base of maple tree today

OMG--I hate those things--I'm waiting 4 them 2 return here in NJ--I wonder why there were so many and they were all dead?--the only good cicada is a dead cicada!--I say--marynj

Esteemed Contributor

Pure Guess............they were in a tree that was hit by lightening.  NYS had T-storm roll in last night.

Honored Contributor

Why they were all dead (and that many of them) would concern me........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I know they're harmless to humans, but I hate them also.  Hope they stay away from my area!!!!  But I doubt that we'll be that lucky. (Metro-DC area)

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Why they were all dead (and that many of them) would concern me........

@KingstonsMom   me too!  that was my first thought, then the ICK factor set in

Respected Contributor

I saw something on a show about a bunch of dead turtles on the ground in one area and they came to the conclusion that it may have been crows.

I have no idea it is strange and a little frightening. A bunch of any dead insect or wildlife would bother me. Btw I kinda like these things growing up in the south I am used to their chirps. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey  I'm "ughing" with you.

I don't remember which year it was, but I know I was still teaching in a middle school, so definitely one spring of the early 80's, and I volunteered to chaperone an overnight camping trip.  Cicades hung in chains all around us, thicker than any Christmas garlands.  No faster did we put up tent poles than they turned green as the did tents themselves.  The oaks surrounding us were losing their leaves as we watched and tried to keep insects out of our pancake batter or the chili we'd spooned into our cups.

i'd guess it wouldn't surprise anyone that I remember virtually nothing about that weekend except the cicadas.  I believe I've spent the equivalent of a few years doing various forms of camping -  those 2 days with the cicadas were the absolute worst!

Honored Contributor

That's awful; I can't imagine what happened.  Will you rake them up?  Or will birds and other critters take care of the clean-up?

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey Cicadas are mostly environmentally beneficial, with a fascinating life cycle that needs to fulfill its course. After studying them, I can't help but have some respect for their mission.  I'd be concerned,  if I saw piles of them dead.

Your situation is very atypical. But, one of their benefits is, they nourish the soil when they die. It should be helpful for your tree Woman Wink.