Respected Contributor

I live in Southern Ca and am lucky to have flowers blooming at this time of year. Just wondering what's in bloom by you even if you live in a colder climate or not?

I have:

Mexican Marigold (Tagetes)

Lantana

African Daisies

Ivy Geraniums

Respected Contributor

Well, we got some snow and rain blooming tomorrow.  That's about it.  However....

we have to pay the landscaper a king's randsom so I don't want anything blooming.

Anyway, your post is very cute!!!  I'm glad you're enjoying your flowers.  They can be very nice. XO

Honored Contributor

Helleborous blooms in February. Even if it snows.

Esteemed Contributor

We're in a lull on the Eastern Seaboard (VA Piedmont) but I expect witchhazel and winter jasmine soon.

FWIW my African violets are in bloom in the bay window!  I have a straggler cyclamen and oxalis, too, and some odd geranium blooms on the plants I over winter indoors.

I'm not a fan of non-natives, but my nandina have outperformed themselves this year; the fruit has been borne in gigantic clusters which is quite striking in the landscape.  The mockingbirds tried them but the verdict was a definite "no".

Thoughts of spring.  But then I have to clean the gutters so no, I am not ready yet.

Cogito ergo sum
Regular Contributor

Here in the Mid Atlantic,  we have pansies. They plant them around our malls during winter and they bloom till May.   Then they pull them out and plant the summer flowers.   I also plant pansies in my garden.  It is nice to have color when the weather is so bleek.  

Honored Contributor

My dwarf Phalaenopsis orchid is flowering right now. Three flowering stems this year and looking good. (It needs repotting though.) Some of my Christmas cacti are still in bloom. The dipladenia I brought in over winter is tossing an occasional flower. Not much else in flower right now. Outside, the first of the daffodils are starting to poke above ground.

My seed order is due to arrive today so tomorrow I'll start the Multibloom Geranium seeds. I ordered fifty seeds of the geraniums and I'll likely get somewhere between 52-55 seeds. Geraniums take a while to get decent size so they'll get started tomorrow. Geraniums are pretty cold tolerant also so from mid-March on they can head to the cold frame to finish growing.

I did add another tier of lights to my plant stand this year. The red/blue LED lights instead of the 6500 K  fluorescent lights I typically use. I hate looking at those lights, but they're supposed to be better for the plants, so we'll see.

I've got 250 of the Accent Impatiens seeds coming also. They'll get started in about two weeks or so. I switched suppliers this year going back to HPS Seeds as Harris Seeds played too many games with me last year. HPS is more reliable, but that $8.99 shipping charge bugs me. Still, I save enough by buying the impatiens seeds in bulk to help offset that. (Later today when the seeds arrive and I see it cost like $1.35 to ship them is not a good time to ask me how I feel about that shipping charge.)

Winter is always a bit more bearable once the seedlings start to emerge. In a week or two I should have a couple of trays full of baby geraniums and then it's just a question of time until spring arrives. More plants will be getting started every few weeks and my now nearly empty plant stand will be full of life.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

In SE VA, our camellias are blooming - they are a winter bloomer here. 

Honored Contributor

Nothing is blooming here in PA..even the poison ivy is dead.  Our evergreen trees and holly bushes are still green, though.

We are expecting a snow and ice storm tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some geraniums that might just go the distance this winter.  Two pretty wimpy, pale little sprigs on one.  

Respected Contributor

Just noticed that the pink Jasmine is now in bloom.Beautiful light pink whitish blooms, in the same form as Snowball flowers, I love the soft fragrance too. I have it growing up and around a post in the front of the house and sitting on the balcony railing on the second floor.

It was so interesting to see the responses from different parts of the country.