Respected Contributor

1st Lawn Mowing of Season

[ Edited ]

Our lawn was mowed for the 1st time of the season today!  I LOVE ❤️ the smell of fresh cut grass, but not the first mowing.  Seems like there's more than a few wild onions sprout up over a 5 acre front and back lawn.  Yuck!  

After this initial mowing, all is well.  Just wondering if anyone else ever notices this and if you've begun to mow yet?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 1st Lawn Mowing of Season

In Florida we don't get to stop mowing!  Ever!

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere  My yard crew just mowed and blew beech leaves and gumballs. I was so happy to see them. I have an acre but some is wooded. I can blow the driveway and walks, but the yard crew does most of it now. 
      🌳🍂🌾🌷🪻🌸🌻

Respected Contributor

It's to be 25 degrees in the overnight here in Pa., so no mowing yet.

Honored Contributor

Not much mowing around here these days. Takes too much water to have a grass lawn and we don't have water to spare. Lots of people doing xeriscaping instead of grass.

Respected Contributor

I noticed a few wild onion/scallions popped up on the lawn recently.  I have a lawn service that comes to cut the lawn in the spring/summer and early fall.  He usually starts the last week of March or the first week in April.  

When I was a kid growing up, I would cut some of the neighbors lawns for a few dollars to spend on things I wanted.  I always like the smell of fresh cut grass back then, but I seemed to have developed an allergy of some kind because now the smell of fresh cut grass makes me sneeze, my eyes start to weep/tear and I feel miserable.  I think I must have developed an allergy to outside pollen, etc. because spring seems to cause the most discomfort for me.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@cheriere  We are expecting a snowstorm tonight into the morning. So, no lawn mowing here yet.  Must be nice!

Esteemed Contributor

My lawn crew just applied the fertilizer and spring pre-emergent. Hopefully, we'll have rain tonight and tomorrow (as predicted). Then, next week I'll have them return to begin weekly mowing.             

I have moved my patio furniture back outside a little over a week ago. We had several days in the high 80's and it was simply too beautiful not to take advantage of sitting on a patio with a good book and some iced tea. Bring on the warm weather and sunshine, Mother Nature!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@cheriere Well, our lawns are mowed every week, all year. But I agree, I still walk outside every week after the lawn has been mowed and love that fresh cut grass smell.

Wild onions? I didn't know there were wild onions that popped up on lawns. Can you eat them?

Honored Contributor

No lawn mowing here for weeks.