Honored Contributor

thred up.....any success selling?

i do some reselling of items in my closet via facebook and in consignment shops. i am thinking of sending in a bag to THRED UP. has anyone had success selling items on that site? i have ordered a bag to fill.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: thred up.....any success selling?

I was unhappy with the quote they gave me and wouldn't do it again. If they decide they don't want your things they say they will donate it (though I've seen a few my items listed that they said they would donate but didnt pay me) or you can pay to have them return it. I'd be cautious. 

If you have more high end items I'd use the Realreal. Otherwise donate and take the tax write off. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another family member handled the consignment of my late sister's wardrobe.  Her closet was mostly high end designer (the level of St. John, Chanel, Max Mara, Manolo Blahnik). I believe Poshmark and RealReal were the online places used and also a couple of local consignment shops.  We had decided that any profits were to be put away in a nest egg for two young neices.  I'm not sure how much, but I understand the results were good. 

Please note that we did donate many of her things to a local resell shop which benefits a charitable cause. This was the off the rack clothes, accessories and some fashion jewelry.  It was reported to back to me in a subsequent visit to the store that her things sold out fast and I believe my sister would have been very pleased about this. She loved her fashions, but she was also was a very caring person.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i do some reselling of items in my closet via facebook and in consignment shops. i am thinking of sending in a bag to THRED UP. has anyone had success selling items on that site? i have ordered a bag to fill.

you won't get too much, but it might be worth it vs. chucking in the donation box 

Super Contributor

I’ve sold items on ThreadUp. You need to keep an eye on it. I had a handbag they listed with the wrong photo and really low price. I contacted them with a photo of the item and description and they made a correction. I felt the prices on My shoes were really high, so I adjusted the prices and they sold immediately. The payouts on many things were okay, others really low.
The process is easy, but stay on top of it. I’m just donating things again, it’s less work...lol. And may be needed in today’s world.