Honored Contributor

Re: serving at a funeral dinner

@proudlyfromNJ  we feed the mourners a meal after  the services are completed ,and the body is returned to the earth

We do this to let the family visit with friends and relations ,without being  taxed with preparing a meal for them

Sometimes, if it has been a long hospital vigil, people haven't had a decent meal for days. All the leftover food is sent home with the family, so they don't have to worry about food for a bit

Honored Contributor

@cherry .  That’s what I thought, just never heard of it before. Around here we take the people who attended the funeral service out to eat.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@cherry .  That’s what I thought, just never heard of it before. Around here we take the people who attended the funeral service out to eat.

that is what we do @proudlyfromNJ .

everyone is taken out for dinner/lunch OR we all go back to someones home to have a buffet type meal.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@cherry, that is so very kind of you and your hubby. I'm sure you will be dressed appropriately. Remember to wear comfy shoe, you'll be on your feet, a lot.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I've gone to many in church basements or fellowship halls. Black/navy/charcoal slacks with a tunic or blouse would be fine. 

Honored Contributor

Wearing something conservative, dignified, should be fine.  Jeans would be out and nothing too loud as far as color and print.  That is just my opinion and I am sure you will look very nice because you care enough to ask.  

Esteemed Contributor

Around here we call it the "Mercy meal"....

I would wear black slacks and a white blouse, but I know you will look inappropriate.

Trusted Contributor

I recently started helping at our funeral lunches too, and was told to dress nicely, no jeans.  I wore dark pants or a dark skort and a top.  I don't own any white tops; they would get full of food, coffee, or dishwater.  Most wear nice pants and a dressier top.

I so appreciated the people who helped at my mom's funeral lunch last summer.  It feels good to help someone else. 

Some of these lunches serve 100+ people.  Those of you who take people out for lunch after the funeral, do you take a group that size? 

Honored Contributor

We have had over 100 people at some dinners. That would be a huge expense for the family ,at a time like this..All of our work is volunteer ,so it costs the family ,only what the cost of the food is, which is always way cheaper than a restaurant meal

If they can't afford the cost of the groceries, we cover it as well

Honored Contributor

@mnmom wrote:

I recently started helping at our funeral lunches too, and was told to dress nicely, no jeans.  I wore dark pants or a dark skort and a top.  I don't own any white tops; they would get full of food, coffee, or dishwater.  Most wear nice pants and a dressier top.

I so appreciated the people who helped at my mom's funeral lunch last summer.  It feels good to help someone else. 

Some of these lunches serve 100+ people.  Those of you who take people out for lunch after the funeral, do you take a group that size? 

@mnmom  The funerals that I have been to usually don’t have 100 plus people at the funeral itself. Most of them just go to the viewings. Ones I have been to usually just have family and close friends at the funeral.The family then invites everyone to go to eat. 

Although we had a family member pass away at 50 so there were many at the funeral and we’re all invited to the restaurant.