Super Contributor

My leather coat is always getting mildew on it when it's left in the closet during out of season time.  I've tried putting it in a bag, leaving it out of a bag, leaving the bag partially open...nothing keeps the mildew away.  It takes forever to clean it myself and it's horribly expensive to have it professionally cleaned.

Any ideas how to keep it from getting mildewed?  Thanks in advance.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I would assume putting coat in bag would be very bad. That holds the moisture and closing a closet door doesn't allow fresh air in either.  Can you hang it on the back of a door where air can circulate?  (a second bedroom)

Honored Contributor

Do not store leathers inside bags. Try placing a moisture-absorbing product inside the closet where you have the mildew problem, for example a product like this:

DampRid

download.jfif

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you life in an area that's quite humid.

Perhaps a dehumidifier would be useful.  

Or, you know those little packets of desiccants that come in shoe boxes, etc., to control moisture.

You might try something like that in your closet.

If you go to Amazon and put "desiccant" in search - there are various alternatives to remove moisture from the air.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Do not store leathers inside bags. Try placing a moisture-absorbing product inside the closet where you have the mildew problem, for example a product like this:

DampRid

download.jfif

@SilleeMee 

We used to use this at our shore house but the smell it left bothered DH.  I'd be concerned that clothing would pick up the smell.  It does remove moisture though.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I keep leather and suede jackets/coats in a canvas garment bag I bought years ago.  I have never had that problem.  Some of them are 15-years old and no mildew.  

Super Contributor

The bag I was using wasn't canvas...maybe that's my problem.  I'll give canvas a try as well as that Damp Rid.  Other than a closet I really have no where else to store my coats.  I live in southern KY and the humidity is a problem!  If the canvas bag doesn't work, I'll try just the Damp Rid and no bag at all.  There has to be a good combination eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions...appreciated!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 

Just wanted to mention that I live in the PNW and it is not humid.

Esteemed Contributor

Leather should never be stored in plastic bags.

Honored Contributor

I thought everyone knew that about plastic bags and clothing.