Honored Contributor

Re: another sad stylist story

I think that top was really short so it needed something under or at least a high waist pant.We would have heard a lot of chatter  if we could see the ladies bare skin.I also think they styled it that way to convince those of us who are older that we could still wear it without showing the stuff we don’t want to.

Honored Contributor

I’ve seen so many tunics for years, a shorter cropped top caught my eyes by surprise. 

Maybe the stylists were stumped what to do. On taller women, belly buttons would show, but on me, the length would be fine...just not a frilly, ruffle girl.

Valued Contributor

I am in the group that thinks the half tucked look is wrong. Just my opinion~Why? I’ve seen a lot of kids/teenagers with their tops half tucked. It reminds me of when I was a teenager. That’s (IMO) the age group it looks cute on.
A grown woman, especially one over 35 at the least, shouldn’t do it. It does look sloppy & like someone who is trying to hold on to their younger years. Embrace your age & celebrate it!
I’m sure the hosts work very hard. But they should look contemporary for their age; not like their trying to be cool or trendy. It ends up looking ridiculous.
I’ve seen Shawn do this many times with clothing, hair & make up. Whether she is styled that way or does it on her own~it just doesn’t seem appropriate or fashionable.
I’m 58 years young. I love clothes, make up, etc. But, I dress with what’s contemporary without trying to look like my 30 y/o daughter. Except for a professional work situation where there is a more conservative environment, I’ve always had a bit of a boho vibe to my fashion. But, I’m not wearing what I did when I was in my 20’s or 30’s. I’m a child of the 70’s in terms of my teenage years. So, part of that has stayed with me. But. I’m not wearing buffalo sandals & low rise flare, “bell bottom” jeans. I’m wearing what looks cute & contemporary for my age.
Just my take on it.
Respected Contributor

@Pookwrote:

I get a kick out of posters who don't like a look so they declare it passee!  So many fashion experts here and all with their own take on fashion.  No will ever like any look.  We all have choices and no one is being forced to like or wear what they do not like!!

This is another line that will appeal to anyone too young for AARP so of course it's passe!  I liked the way the top looked on Shawn with the cami layered underneath.  I'm 5'10" and there's no way I could pull off that top without layering it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45, I think Shawn makes just about everything look good. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Gemspirit. I agree with you.

I haven't heard of this trend or saw it yet...the half untucked..but oh my. I agree. I am 53 years-young (I like the way you put it..) 5;'6 1/2" and about 125-130 lbs..it depends on my week LOL...and I do classic with a bit of trend for the office etc. Depending on where I am that day or night (I work mental health)..but casual days will be trendy jeans (My favorite are Rock and Republic in Kohl's..they have nice boot cut, some bling on some of them, some nice dark wash with bling pockets that can be dressed up for work so nicely..that they are nicer than casual day LOL..they even have some nice material skinny legs for those high top boot days.. ...I digress)  and nice top with over jacket - sometimes with shark bite/uneven hem whatever one will call it or classic suit jacket with a bit of flare to the sleeve etc....but my sweater or top underneath can be casual pleated turtleneck ( I don't like the plain cotton ones that bag out..not for me..I like the pleated form fitting..)  blinged up with a nice piece of costume jewerly as a focal point - matching my outfit..or a bell sleeve shirt with belt to dress it up a bit. Another trend I like is the choker neckline. 

I mix classic and a bit of trend and get a million compliments all the time.

I think there is something out there for all of us..regardless of age and style. I think often times we (collective) see something out of our comfort zone and disregard it..I wouldn't wear some of the styles but if somebody else does good for them.

I do want to add - I had the opportunity to shop in the plus size section this past weekend for somebody.  They know clothes etc is my side passion and wanted me to bling them up as they just lost 40 lbs..still plus but 1x (although she said 2x..no way..) the selection really was horrible.  They had few pieces and many of them were ugly, old, bags, wrinkled bedspread looking items. She is on a time crunch as she is leaving this weekend so I couldm't order online.  I didn't realize that there was so little plus size selections in the reg. stores.  I would of thought whatever is offered in Ladies Small thru XXLarge would be offered thru 3X in the plus dept..nope..a few tops/styles/brands but that is it.

So if you want to be trendy but classic it is hard to find.  I actually found capri's that had a bit of spandex and can be dressed up in Walmart. The quality was pretty decent too..and the price phew..couldn't be beat under $16 bucks. They didn't come small enough for me - otherwise I would of given them a whirl. They had just the right amount ot stretch spandex that I like..but no wonder Plus Size ladies have such a hard time finding clothing unless you have time to order Lane Bryant (are the still around??) or Catherine's..those are the only two retail places I can recall...

On the weekend I wear jeans and dress them up too for going out. Around the house I wear my Victoria Secret yoga pants or leggings (only kind I will wear the spandex and fit are perfect for me..)

There is something for all of us out there! I think the hosts are expected to push the line a bit..

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008wrote:

@Pookwrote:

I get a kick out of posters who don't like a look so they declare it passee!  So many fashion experts here and all with their own take on fashion.  No will ever like any look.  We all have choices and no one is being forced to like or wear what they do not like!!

This is another line that will appeal to anyone too young for AARP so of course it's passe!  I liked the way the top looked on Shawn with the cami layered underneath.  I'm 5'10" and there's no way I could pull off that top without layering it.  

I didn't see what Shawn was wearing but as a 5'8 plus size gal with a belly, I would never wear a cropped top without something longer underneath, so that's why all my tops, sweaters, etc. are tunic length. This is a look I've seen a lot of  younger women and teens wear so of course many older women won't like it and think it was trashy. Nothing is passe these days. Fashion always recycles itself. 

Esteemed Contributor

That VC top was awful. A  real shame to put the late designer's name on it.

Honored Contributor

I was channel surfing and saw that top. I didn't care for it, not for me. 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

I can't get past the earrings long enough to focus on the fashions.