Respected Contributor

Re: Would you wear the TSV bathing suit in public?

On 5/9/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 5/9/2014 JJsMom said:

I'm not sure I really understand the question. Wouldn't people be wearing this in public if they bought it?

I am not a fan of skirt or shorts bathing suits. They look frumpy to me. I don't like bikinis either because they don't stay secure if you're active. I prefer a simple one piece with clean lines and no frills. I hate extraneous material moving around in the water. It is really annoying.

While I don't like the TSV, if it makes someone feel more comfortable getting into the water, that's a good thing. So many times I see adults sitting on the sidelines at pool parties or the beach and not participating in the swimming and fun.

I was thinking of someone who would only wear it in the privacy of their own backyard pool. They wouldn't wear it in public meaning a public beach, pool, lake, or country club swim club..

Oh, okay. :-) I see nothing wrong with it. It's appropriate. It just doesn't happen to be my style.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

My DIL who has gained weight with her last pregnancy wore a similar swim suit to the pool with her children. She felt comfortable and looked fine. Everyone is not in swim suit shape, and the Q's suits help with being comfortable. Not everyone can wear a bikini but still want to go to the pool.

Super Contributor

No, I wouldn't wear it. I like a one-piece with no skirt. I prefer to wear slim shorts over my suit. The last one I purchased was from LLBean.

Respected Contributor

On 5/9/2014 mskringle said:

Your question and some of the responses put me over the edge to buy the suit. I no longer have the figure I did in my teens, twenties, or even early thirties - even though I often wore a one piece back then. I haven't worn a suit in a few years, and my last one piece, I wore with short active shorts on a beach vacation a few years ago. I am not comfortable displaying my body in my current size. But this summer, I know I will be (or could be) spending some time at a beach and I know I will be with family who have a pool, and I refuse to do what I did last year which was to avoid participating. I think I will feel comfortable in this suit because it is pretty but modest enough. Therefore, it will allow me to participate in activities and be with others - and I can wear a suit instead of a tank top and shorts, and I can even go in the water if I choose.

And now that I think about it, I'm not sure there is a problem with a 'matronly' look. If it means having a body that looks like a comfortable mother's body and dressing appropriately, I don't have an issue with that. If it means "ugly" - well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As another poster noted, the Europeans don't have quite the same hang ups and rules about women's bodies. Women should not be forced to hide if they don't have the body of a model.

Good for you. I'd much rather have my loved ones in an "ugly" swimsuit if it meant they felt more comfortable and could participate in the festivities.

I saw what looked to be an 80-year-old woman at the beach one time in a bikini (she had a pretty decent body too I might add). I thought to myself, "Good for you!" She was running around with the kids and splashing around in the lake. It was great to see.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

I liked it and ordered the blue paisley one. We have a pool and go to the beach. It will be perfect for me. I won't feel the need for a cover up either when we have company over. I like skirted bottoms or the short style. I am in my mid fifties, petite and not over weight. I think it looks nice on all the models. Not frumpy at all. I just hope I ordered the right size.

Honored Contributor

With a swimsuit, 50%+ of your body uncovered....so I don't understand how some people think a yard of Lycra will automatically turn them into Cindy Crawford!! Just wear whatever, get some sun & have a good time!! Psssst....no one is looking @ your "flaws"....we are all bathing beauties!!.

Super Contributor

On 5/9/2014 luvpoos said:

I liked it and ordered the blue paisley one. We have a pool and go to the beach. It will be perfect for me. I won't feel the need for a cover up either when we have company over. I like skirted bottoms or the short style. I am in my mid fifties, petite and not over weight. I think it looks nice on all the models. Not frumpy at all. I just hope I ordered the right size.

I heard the host say to size up from your normal dress size.
Respected Contributor

I think it's cute, and great that there are lots of options out there in swimwear.

I agree with the poster who mentioned Lands End. I have a swim mini and tankini from Lands End that I wear a lot.

I've never been a bikini person and I never liked one piece suits, so this option is great for me.

Everyone should feel comfortable when they are at the beach or pool in whatever type suit they choose to wear.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 5/9/2014 mskringle said:

And now that I think about it, I'm not sure there is a problem with a 'matronly' look. If it means having a body that looks like a comfortable mother's body and dressing appropriately, I don't have an issue with that. If it means "ugly" - well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As another poster noted, the Europeans don't have quite the same hang ups and rules about women's bodies. Women should not be forced to hide if they don't have the body of a model.

Good attitude! When I was young "matronly" meant all black one-piece suits. My mom and all of my friends' moms wore them. I grew up on the water and I'm a swimmer. I still wear one-piece suits, but not black ones (old memories die hard!). I bought my first swim dress last year. It's cute! DH likes it - that's what I like to hear! Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I like the TSV suit in the paisley ONLY. I hate floral clothing in any type of clothing. PS) I do not think its matronly at ALL.

Not everyone can wear regular one pieces. I gained weight since my back injury and since I no longer work, and I would look hideous (IMO) in a regular one piece.

I buy my suits via mail order at Sears to go in our hot tub and wear skirted suits.

All this being said, I don't care for most skirtinis because they float up and show your stomach. (They especially float up in our hot tub due to the power of the jets).

But anyway I need a new suit because although I cant swim anymore, (I wish) Id like to go to the pool this year and watch my kids/grandkids swim and stand in the pool to cool off. So I do think this suit would be good for that and I am debating getting it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles