Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wish Susan would quit saying, "I'm only five feet four"........

I am 5'6"" & always wanted to be shorter.

Honored Contributor

Saw her early this morning. Yeah, she's kinda short, but she looks great. Isn't she like 62?

Love her hair.

I think average height is 5'5" or 5'6".

Honored Contributor

I suppose if you're standing around 5'11"" models all day you would feel like a shorty at 5'6"".

Honored Contributor

I think Pat says that because she is too short to be a model. I remember her always saying that. I don't think 5'6" is short, but it is short for a model.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5'3 1/2"; DD is 5'2" - BUT neither one of us can wear petite pants because we're both long legged! We DO wear some petite dresses, skirts, and shorter summer pants (depending on how they look) in petite. Smile

Honored Contributor

I'm 5'6"" and do feel short when I'm around women who are almost 6'.

So I just don't hang around them.

Honored Contributor

She's 5'4" and I don't think there is person in this country would consider that to be average height. Well, maybe if you happen to be in your 80's and only hang with other octogenarians. But out in the real world (I'm 5'3") when you are that height, you are always the "shortie" in the room. You can't even find pants in brick and mortar stores anymore because their petites are 27 or 28 inches and the average is 31 or 32 inches. 5'3" to 5'5" is an awkward height. We certainly aren't petites but we aren't average either. I've always apprectiated that QVC understands that. I can actually find 29" pants. I believe Susan refers to her own height to give viewers a visual reference because the models are so tall.

Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 KathyPet said: The average American woman is 5ft 6.

Where did you get that? My research shows that the average American woman is 5' 3.8" tall. It does seem to me that teens are growing much taller these days, but when I researched that, I was surprised to find that the average height is still 5'4". If this is true, why do I see so many "Amazon-height" teens?

"According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult female in the United States is:

• 63.8 inches, or
  • 5 feet 3.8 inches"

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 straitgirl said:

I am 5'6"" & always wanted to be shorter.

Oh no you don't. Be grateful for those few extra inches. I am 5'2"" and would love to have a few more. It would make shopping so much easier.

Respected Contributor

5'4 - 5'5"" is average for women. we can wear heels if we like to look taller.

what height is average for men? even 5'10 is considered on the short side no?

men have a hard time if they are short and there isn't much they can do about it.